Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Live webcam and sound.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

Alright so its really hard to explain this but here we go.
I made a C# program that saves images from my webcam. I made a self-refreshing page that grabs the Image and puts it on the page.
The sound is not fully functional right now, but it will be soon. It runs like my radio station used to run.

This could be used to monitor your house or use the netduino with ethernet to grab the image from the webpage and do stuff. If I had tons of viewer I could do live shows. I guess right now it is up in case you want to see what I'm up to.

Click here to visit the webpage.

*Note: I just found out that my school's internet filter blocks the selfip.net redirect service. If you are at work or have any of these filters set up, don't worry if it says its a security risk, unless you dont trust me.

Please tell me if you ANY issues with this, other than the audio not working.

Also if you would like to know how its works ask here. I'll post the C# Webcam code. Ask about how that works here too.

Attached Files

#2 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

I doubt the Netduino has enough memory to really do much with an image. It could probably download, it but not much else. LCDs are quite memory intensive!

#3 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

I doubt the Netduino has enough memory to really do much with an image. It could probably download, it but not much else. LCDs are quite memory intensive!

I never thought about that. What if you use the C# webcam capture to do the processing and then have it talk to the netduino? I think you would have to do the whole usb to serial deal for the netduino right?

Is it possible to make the netduino talk to the computer or other c# programs without doing the serial thing? Like set up a virtual serial port?

#4 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

The Netduno can't really escape serial other than if it had some sort of USB CDC driver on it to emulate something else. You might also consider doing the math to find out just how big an image that your webcam generates is. Then compare that to the netduino's memory.

#5 Ravenheart

Ravenheart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

640x480 equals 307 200 pixels, 16 bits per pixel equals 614 400 bytes, or 600KB 320x240 equals 76 800 pixels, 16 bits per pixel equals 153 600 bytes, or 150KB You get the message :P

#6 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

The Netduno can't really escape serial other than if it had some sort of USB CDC driver on it to emulate something else.

You might also consider doing the math to find out just how big an image that your webcam generates is. Then compare that to the netduino's memory.

The images are from 58KB to 147KB each. I averaged 319 of them and got 142 kilobytes each.

#7 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

"RAM 60K" Yeah, that's not gonna work. You really need something like a FEZ Cobra if you're going to do image processing.

#8 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

"RAM 60K" Yeah, that's not gonna work. You really need something like a FEZ Cobra if you're going to do image processing.

Interesting stuff... hopefully Secret Labs is working on the mega netduino. I like the netduino more than any other duino product I've seen.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

It's mostly a bandwidth issue. If you want to take data and "pass it through" the Netduino, perhaps along with other sensor data gathered by the Netduino, that might work well. You'd basically buffer all the input (reading <=4KB at a time perhaps). You'd also need to be aware of the processing time, lag in getting data from a Wiznet (Ethernet) shield, etc. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.