Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

6 degrees of freedom

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 roguemat

roguemat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hi there! I just got a netduino today, and am having fun so far :) I am looking at building a copter where I will need an accelerometer and gyro. Someone suggested I look at the "6 degrees of freedom". My questions are: 1) Will this work with the netduino, or is there a better sensor to use for this? 2) As far as I understand it, unless someone has converted the drivers to .net, I would need to do that. Does anyone know if someone has posted drivers for this? I have searched the forums with little success. I am extremely new to the world of hardware, but am experienced in .net. Thanks alot!
I make Windows Phone stuff for beer money and rent (in order of priority). I've got a blog and am on the Twitter machine.

#2 mutsop

mutsop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm also curious for the answer... Although I'm not going to create a copter, it would be for a self balancing robot.

#3 CharlesTucker

CharlesTucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

This is on my list of "things to do in the future", with the ultimate goal of making a quadcopter that serves as platform for a small camera. However, I am far from that for several reasons, so I don't have the answers you are looking for, but I might offer a hint for starters. These 6 degrees-of-freedom things are essentially a combination of 3 gyros and 3 accelerometers.

The example mentioned in the other thread contained a ADXL345 as the set of accelerometers. I succesfully connected one of those on its own to my Netduino, using information and code from https://www.loveelec...how-to-use-them. My project did not do anything useful, it just indicated accelerations by means of a 3 rows of leds:), I am very much a beginner in the field of electronics. So I do not have the final answer, but I hope it serves as a start.

With best regards, Peter

#4 Jacques B

Jacques B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hi @CharlesTucker Any information for connecting this(http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10121)breakout board to the netduino plus? Regards Jacques

#5 CharlesTucker

CharlesTucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi Jacques, unfortunately I don't own one of those, just de ADXL345. I sincerely do hope you get some more useful answers then mine. But if not, from the info at Sparkfun (it is basically an ADXL345 accelerometer + ITG3200 gyro on the same breakout-board), it appears like you could start by using the info on the Loveelectronics site and get at least the accelerometer part working with your Netduino plus. From there hopefully you can extend their code to include the gyro output.

#6 roguemat

roguemat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hi Jacques, unfortunately I don't own one of those, just de ADXL345. I sincerely do hope you get some more useful answers then mine. But if not, from the info at Sparkfun (it is basically an ADXL345 accelerometer + ITG3200 gyro on the same breakout-board), it appears like you could start by using the info on the Loveelectronics site and get at least the accelerometer part working with your Netduino plus. From there hopefully you can extend their code to include the gyro output.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I went ahead and bout this today (the one with ADXL345 and ITG3200) along with an LLC.
I found that loveelectronics page too and was hoping I could start with that and worry about the gyro later.

I will let you guys know how it goes with regards to the ADXL345.

p.s. This is coming from a guy who is about to solder for the first time :P

EDIT: The place I bought it from sent me this link to show how to wire it: Posted Image
I make Windows Phone stuff for beer money and rent (in order of priority). I've got a blog and am on the Twitter machine.

#7 DanA

DanA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi, Just curious, but I'm not sure why you'd need the logic level convertor. (neither for Arduino?) Anyone have insight into this? Can't you just skip the 5v input and run the 2 data lines straight in to the AIO's? Not a huge deal - $1.95, but the part is listed as "2.7 to 5.2V supply range" Thanks Dan

#8 Bendage

Bendage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace accelerometer
{
public class Program
{
// Define our accelerometer inputs
static AnalogInput accX;
static AnalogInput accY;
static AnalogInput accZ;

public static void Main()
{
// Create the Inputs
accX = new AnalogInput(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0);
accY = new AnalogInput(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A1);
accZ = new AnalogInput(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A2);

while (true)
{

Debug.Print("accX: " + accX.Read().ToString());
Debug.Print("accY: " + accY.Read().ToString());
Debug.Print("accZ: " + accZ.Read().ToString());
}
}
}
}

#9 roguemat

roguemat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hi,

Just curious, but I'm not sure why you'd need the logic level convertor. (neither for Arduino?)

Anyone have insight into this?

Can't you just skip the 5v input and run the 2 data lines straight in to the AIO's?

Not a huge deal - $1.95, but the part is listed as "2.7 to 5.2V supply range"

Thanks
Dan

Hmmm, I wired mine up like in the picture and can get no response from it.
Surely someone here can recommend the best way to wire the 6DOF? I can't seem to find any info on the net :(

EDIT: Ok, I think it's actually working. I run this:
I2CDevice adxl = new I2CDevice(new I2CDevice.Configuration(0x53, 100));

byte[] devid = new byte[1] { 1 };

I2CDevice.I2CWriteTransaction write = I2CDevice.CreateWriteTransaction(new byte[] { 0 });
            I2CDevice.I2CReadTransaction read = I2CDevice.CreateReadTransaction(devid);

I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] actions = new I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] { write, read };
            adxl.Execute(actions, 1000);

Debug.Print(devid[0].ToString());
And get a result of 192. I have absolutely no idea what the significance of that is though :P

EDIT2: Ok, from the data sheet(pg 15) that 192 is:

The DEVID register holds a fixed device ID code of 0xE5 (345 octal).

EDIT3: YAY! I have it working! The range is a bit weird, but will read through the datasheet some more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE4trZpbVEc

EDIT4: Now have it completely working, and giving me proper signed degrees via some very basic math. Guess it's onto the gyro next.

#10 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

I am on this journey with the ITG3200. Do you have any working code that you can share? Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.