Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

74HC595 Shift register question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Mason

Thomas Mason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

I am trying to wire a 74HC595 shift register to my netduino. I have seen that there are numerous post on this forum discussing the software side (and even showing wiring diagrams), but i was windering if I could get some basic help for a total novice. C# I know ICs i do not. 1. this may be totaly basic but how do I know which is pin one ? 2.once I know that would it be possible for some one to show me a simple diagram of how to hook up a single 74HC595 to my netduino. I would like to get one working before I move on to cascading them. All I want to do for know is control 8 led and for now just be able to turn them on seperatly on demand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hello Thomas.
Your questions are totally legal, and may help many other people. So, feel free to ask any other question you want...

Preface: the ICs come in several packages: we'll consider only the DIPs (=Dual In Line), because it's the only one that can be used by hobbists. It's the "bigger", and can be inserted in a breadboard. Other packages are classified as "SMD" (Surface-Mount Devices), because they require no holes.

1) pin-count. The chip has some mark (notch, bump, etc) on one edge of its package. If you rotate the chip so that its label is readable, this mark is on the left edge. The bottom-left pin is always the number "one", then count the other pins in a counter-clockwise direction.
Note: for bigger chips (e.g. 24 and over pins), the label could be readable when the mark is on the top edge. Simply turn the chip as long the mark is on the left.

2) there's a simple circuit 74HC595-based, to drive up 8 led, independently. You can find it on this forum Wiki:
http://wiki.netduino...t-Register.ashx

I agree on taking practice with very basic circuits, and understand how they work, first.
Currently the Netduino site is a bit messy, but there are a lot of resources to learn from.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Thomas Mason

Thomas Mason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Mario, Thank you that is exactly what I needed. I figured the notch had some significance but I didnt want to break anything. Thank you very much.

#4 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAnne Arundel County, MD

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

Mario,
Thank you that is exactly what I needed. I figured the notch had some significance but I didnt want to break anything.

Thank you very much.

I would add that you should look up the data sheet for your IC. It will tell you the exact pinout, operating parameters, etc. It's typically a PDF that is available through the manufacturer. I order almost all my parts from mouser; they provide the datasheet link on the product details page.

Pete
Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

#5 Thomas Mason

Thomas Mason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:20 AM

I would add that you should look up the data sheet for your IC. It will tell you the exact pinout, operating parameters, etc. It's typically a PDF that is available through the manufacturer. I order almost all my parts from mouser; they provide the datasheet link on the product details page.

Pete

Thanks I will look into that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.