Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

LCD AdaFruit Backpack

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Ernie

Ernie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hmm...over an hour an no corruption on the display just updating numbers!  Dave would you like to try some text and see how things go?

#22 Ernie

Ernie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

Command to LCD preceeding text with a float and no corruption.  How does having a number first make a difference???

LCD.Print(

Lcd.Position.ROW_4, Lcd.Position.COLUMN_1, Lcd.FillRow(4F +":Flow Rate:" + flowrate.ToString("f2") + "LPM"));

#23 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

I noticed Dave has practically no text. Check out page 15 of this document http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe033.pdf it implies text is the problem, which I had data descriptions preceeding all of my measurements.  My display was specifying data like this:

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Air Temp: 66.89[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Water Temp: 72.38[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]PH: 7.00[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Flow Rate: 0.62LPM[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]I took out the text and I am testing right now to see if that makes a difference.[/font]

This is because this is a test rig.  My actual product (Pandora's Box) updates the display's 4 lines several times a second and runs for days without issues.  I typically don't have to run it longer for the the product's purposes.  All readings are proceeded by Text like TMP, HUM, BARO, EMF, etc.

#24 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Just to give you an idea... quick and dirty video of Pandora's Box running diagnostics mode showing how the LCD changes to show all of the sensor readings.  It is rewriting line 2,3,4 constantly to show new readings.  Line 1 is static with the exception of the Glyph on column 20 which is the battery gauge which updates every 10 seconds through a separate thread and timer.  This all uses the same backpack and I2C protocol.  I turned on the display to make this video last night at 11:15pm.  This is only a short clip of video.  It is now 10:02am the the display is still looping without a glitch.

#25 Ernie

Ernie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

In conclusion, I increased some of the timeouts at initialization per this document. I am finally no longer seeing any corruption http://web.alfredsta...tion_index.html

#26 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

In conclusion, I increased some of the timeouts at initialization per this document. I am finally no longer seeing any corruption http://web.alfredsta...tion_index.html

Glad to hear this.  Was your change mostly around the First Delay after Power on? Looking back at the MicroLiquidCrystal library I noticed I had changed this to 100ms at some point but failed to document my change.  My plan is to eventually write a new LCD driver class library.

#27 Ernie

Ernie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yes, I believe the power on was like 5 or 10 ms and the document I referenced says 100 ms minimum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.