Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Is this the end of netduino/arduino boards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hampee

hampee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

http://www.techspot....oming-soon.html will cheap computers like this one affect the demand on netduino and arduino boards?

#2 PepLluis

PepLluis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hampee, It is exciting to see the ramp in the advancement of electronics and no doubt you are right, the possibilities and diversify are opening markets that were hitherto unthinkable. Amazing as we are talking around powerfull platforms. I am happy to see how projects like this sucessfuly progress, however I must say for why Netduino make the difference comparing other platforms ... the big difference is called C # / Visual Basic. I am passionate about Visual Studio because it is the only tool that I know where I can develop applications for all types of devices and environments inside the same IDE, a extremely easy tool that allow develop in same way from beginners to professionals, from a wide net microframework devices, phones, desktop computers, webs, services, data ... and soon the new GUI : 'metro' app's, for an installed base of over 400 million computers and a powerful open source community that begins to differentiate. I think this also is very exciting. I hope in future have a "unified theory" to set all kinds of electronics without worrying about the programming language we use, but for me and by now I choose C# and Visual Basic, for people like me working all day over Intel/Windows platforms is a bit difficult think in start programing over fedora/ubuntu/debían environments :-( but you know maybe... never is too late. Thanks for share this info! Happy new year! PepLluis,

#3 stan4th

stan4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi, I've been watching the RaspberryPi project for about a year now (I mentioned it earlier on this forum). Perhaps there is a difference in that Netduino/Arduino is designed for I/O hardware projects - whereas these devices are effectively miniature "PC" (I know this is a simplification!) So I believe they may sit side by side. I intend to get one and see if my son finds it to be a similar spark as the ZX81 was for me all those years ago! Exciting times ahead! Cheers - hope you all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year.

#4 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

http://www.techspot....oming-soon.html

will cheap computers like this one affect the demand on netduino and arduino boards?

I agree with the comments made both here and in other similar threads. This project is facinating and I (as with others here) have been following this for a while. Will it kill Netduino and Arduino, I don't think so. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. The Netduino development environment is great whilst Arduino can have better raw speed. R-Pi is a self contained system but has fewer IO possibilities c.f. Netduino/Arduino and there is no small form factor (i.e. mini) to easily embed.

It is interesting that the hacker community is looking to be the major market for the initial 10,000 run.

I hope this does inspire the next generation of developers as I am seeing the same problems as Eben, developers coming through the system who have little "hard core system" knowledge.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#5 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

There is one general trend that needs to be remembered, Moore's law. With virtually any computer, the one being announced and shipping next year will be faster and a better value than the one you bought last year. Comparing the Rasberry Pi to the Netduino is like comparing a PC to a Mac, the latest Mac is better than the original PC and the latest PC is better than the original Mac. If we think of a Netduino in general terms, that is a single board computer that runs the .Net MF, then surely there will be a newer version of the Netduino in the future with more memory, speed, I/O etc. Just think how great a Netduino with a couple of Gig of memory would be. You could fit the full .Net runtime in that! For me there are two key takeaways from all these single board computers: 1) They are advancing at a rapid rate with lots of newer, cheaper, more powerful ones coming out all the time. 2) These things are so cheap that it is easy to buy several to experiment and learn, there is no one perfect solution for everything. What a great time to be alive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.