Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Possible Issues with this shield....?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

What Compatibility issues would I be facing if I were to get something like this: 4-Digit LED Shield

Thanks

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hey Oz, Nice find! It uses I2C, and Netduino has support for that built-in. We'd just need to build a driver--unless there's some other electrical requirement I'm not seeing. I also just wrote the manufacturer to see what we can do about creating a C# driver for it... Chris

#3 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

Hey Oz,

Nice find! It uses I2C, and Netduino has support for that built-in. We'd just need to build a driver--unless there's some other electrical requirement I'm not seeing.

I also just wrote the manufacturer to see what we can do about creating a C# driver for it...

Chris

This makes me nervous:

400kbps 2-Wire Interface Compatible with I2C 2.7V to 5.5V operation

Any time I see that I get concerned. For example the SHT15 is 2-wire but I2C compatible -- but it's not I2C. You have to play with it a bit. I didn't dig into the specs at all but just something to keep an eye on.

#4 segu

segu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLima - Peru

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

It is I2C ... from the datasheet

Slave Address
The MAX6953 has a 7-bit-long slave address (Figure
6). The eighth bit following the 7-bit slave address is
the R/W bit
. It is low for a write command, high for a
read command.
The first 3 bits (MSBs) of the MAX6953 slave address
are always 101. Slave address bits A3, A2, A1, and A0
are selected by the address input pins AD1 and AD0.
These two input pins may be connected to GND, V+,
SDA, or SCL. The MAX6953 has 16 possible slave
addresses (Table 3) and therefore a maximum of 16
MAX6953 devices may share the same interface.

To me it is classical I2C
We need a "thumbs up" emoticon (urgently :huh: ) :) :)

#5 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:08 AM

Hey Oz,

Nice find! It uses I2C, and Netduino has support for that built-in. We'd just need to build a driver--unless there's some other electrical requirement I'm not seeing.

I also just wrote the manufacturer to see what we can do about creating a C# driver for it...

Chris

So basically its not something I should jump into at this point right? I'd be great to use but it looks to advanced for me :( Maybe a bit later.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:51 AM

We got this shield in. It works great. In about 5 (maybe 10) minutes we had ported their sample code (typed in from the included piece of paper) to C# and were printing "SheildStudio.com" on the display :) And oh, you'll have to check it out at MakerFaire NY. We're using it with the Netduino Plus... And since the Ethernet jack is low-profile and hard plastic, there's no issue with the pins on the bottom of the shield. I've asked permission to post the port of their code here. I'll post it as soon as (and if) I get that permission... Chris

#7 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

We got this shield in. It works great. In about 5 (maybe 10) minutes we had ported their sample code (typed in from the included piece of paper) to C# and were printing "SheildStudio.com" on the display :)

And oh, you'll have to check it out at MakerFaire NY. We're using it with the Netduino Plus... And since the Ethernet jack is low-profile and hard plastic, there's no issue with the pins on the bottom of the shield.

I've asked permission to post the port of their code here. I'll post it as soon as (and if) I get that permission...

Chris

Thats great! I've sidetracked to a new project though. :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.