Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

.NET code in the Netduino

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zoidberg

Zoidberg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

When Visual Studio deploys the assembly to the Netduino is it sending the MSIL or has it used NGen to create native code that the board can understand? If it doesn't use NGen, could it or does that not make sense for these sorts of projects? I'm wondering how it all actually works :)

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

When Visual Studio deploys the assembly to the Netduino is it sending the MSIL or has it used NGen to create native code that the board can understand? If it doesn't use NGen, could it or does that not make sense for these sorts of projects?

VS deploys IL to the Netduino. This is then interrpetted (not JIT'd) by the framework.

Not sure if you'll find this project interesting but Corey has been working on SimpleNGEN.

Regards.
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:26 AM

VS deploys IL to the Netduino. This is then interrpetted (not JIT'd) by the framework

Mark,
I think I posted this,
http://forums.netdui...il-to-netduino/
in the wrong place. You seem to know something about this. Any suggestions?
Baxter

#4 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

I think I posted this,
http://forums.netdui...il-to-netduino/
in the wrong place. You seem to know something about this. Any suggestions?

I read the post earlier but left this to see if there was someone who could provide an authoritative answer.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#5 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAnne Arundel County, MD

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:18 AM

While certainly not impossible, Ngen (or really, just a native compiler since you would do this at compile time on the host, not the target) would require a separate compiler for each MPU architecture that NETMF has been ported to. NETMF itself is relatively easy to port to new processor families and architectures, but creating (or licensing) a native compiler for that processor is not.

There are other possible approaches, but I just wanted to make it clear that providing a single ngen-like compiler is not as simple as it sounds. Ngen itself is simply a compiler (well, more than one, as there are a few flavors) which uses information about the runtime environment it is installed in to optimize and compile .NET assemblies to native code.

Pete
(Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft, but I am not on the .NET engineering product teams)
Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.