Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

just getting started

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allen

allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

I'm a .net developer just getting started with some embedded development for netduino. I'm trying to get a list of equipment to buy and where to buy it. Are there any prepackaged breadboard / devboards that have led's, usb port, switches and buttons like this one for the parallax? http://www.parallax....ame,ProductName I'd like to get something that has a lot of stuff built onto it so I don't have to keep connecting things while I develop. If not, then what would be a good recommended breadboard and led strip to use with the netduino? sorry for the noob questions, gotta start somewhere.

#2 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

How about this? One of the pictures show that you can throw on a self-adhesive little breadboard. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/7914 -Valkyrie-MT

#3 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

Welcome to the Forum Allen!

The spark fun board is actually a 5V board aimed at the Arduino family. This is not a show stopper as it can be modified for 3.3V, a similar mod is shown in the Wiki for an analogue shield: http://wiki.netduino...Shield-kit.ashx

An alternative is the NEDX starter kit that was launched recently: http://www.oomlout.c...nedx-p-270.html it is 100% Netduino. Note that the NEDX comes with a Netduino, and not a Netduino Plus with the Ethernet and SD connectors.

Unfortunately neither of these have all the bells and whistles that are on the Parallax Professional Development Board you referenced.

Have a look at the tested shields Wiki page for more ideas.

Paul

#4 allen

allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the information. I may grab that needx kit, that looks pretty good. My board comes in today so I will be going full blast on it tonight.

#5 lynnewu

lynnewu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Unfortunately neither of these have all the bells and whistles that are on the Parallax Professional Development Board you referenced.
Paul

Does the Netduino Mini work with the Parallax Professional Development Board?

#6 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Does the Netduino Mini work with the Parallax Professional Development Board?

Hi Lynnewu,

Welcome to the Forums!

Short answer - I am not sure.

The dev board is designed for the basic stamp and I am guessing that the stamp is a 5V device.
If so, you may find a few issues using it with the 3.3V Mini. For example, analogue inputs that go from zero to 5V will top out at 3.3V on the Netduino analogue inputs.

I very much doubt that you could plug the Mini into the sockets provided for the stamp.
However, the prototyping area means you should be able to plug the Mini in and connect the signals up there. (That will take up a lot of space though.)

I can't see a schematic for it on the web site, so I can't tell if the peripherals are integrated directly to the Stamp's socket. Going by the photo, it looks like all the peripherals are connected using the jumper sockets. If this is the case, then it may be possible to use a lot of it.

At $160 I don't think it is worth the risk unless we can find the schematic...

Anyone else know more?

Paul

EDIT I just saw the link to the Schematic.

I can't see what voltage it uses (the regulator does not have a full part number so it could be 3.3V or 5V (or even 12V)).
Looking the the LEDs and seven segment displays, they are using 470ohm resistors - I would guess from this that the board is using 5V. So if you were to try and drive those from the Netduino, they would not light up as bright as intended.

Overall, I think its a no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.