Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Unique ID

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Humancell

Humancell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

I'm working on a project where we are going to be having a large number of Netduino devices talking to our SaaS Platform. When we ship the units, they are going to talk to our platform using some simple web services, but we have to uniquely identify each unit. Is there *any* way to programatically obtain a unique ID for a Netduino to use as an ID in the web services? If not, we are thinking of a few other ways to do this ... but I was hoping there could be something? Scott

#2 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

I'm working on a project where we are going to be having a large number of Netduino devices talking to our SaaS Platform. When we ship the units, they are going to talk to our platform using some simple web services, but we have to uniquely identify each unit.

Is there *any* way to programatically obtain a unique ID for a Netduino to use as an ID in the web services?

If not, we are thinking of a few other ways to do this ... but I was hoping there could be something?

Scott

I'm sure Chris has better/different ways, but what but about using the MAC address? If your using the Netduino plus you can write a unique ID to an SD card and store it on there. Depending on your timeline, I believe the ability to read/write a small amount of data to the on-board EEPROM is coming in NETMF 4.2.

-dan

#3 Humancell

Humancell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'm sure Chris has better/different ways, but what but about using the MAC address? If your using the Netduino plus you can write a unique ID to an SD card and store it on there. Depending on your timeline, I believe the ability to read/write a small amount of data to the on-board EEPROM is coming in NETMF 4.2.

-dan

I'm not planning on using the NetDuino Plus since we're adding our own RF modules to the serial ports of the NetDuino ... but you just gave me an idea ... I'm wondering if I can query a unique ID from the RF module!

If Chris has any other ideas ... that would be great!

#4 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

I'm not planning on using the NetDuino Plus since we're adding our own RF modules to the serial ports of the NetDuino ... but you just gave me an idea ... I'm wondering if I can query a unique ID from the RF module!

If Chris has any other ideas ... that would be great!

Another option I just thought of is using one of the many I2C EEPROM chips? Sparkfun has them for $1.95 each.

-dan

#5 Humancell

Humancell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Another option I just thought of is using one of the many I2C EEPROM chips? Sparkfun has them for $1.95 each.

-dan

What is cool is that the Wifi module that I am using not only has a MAC Address, but it also has a configurable ID that I can set and save in it's eeprom config. So I think that I have it solved! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.