Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to power a Netduino Plus without USB or VDC "plug"?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rockinthesixstring

rockinthesixstring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

I'm trying to figure out a way to power my Netduino Plus by directly attaching power leads to the board rather than relying on the plug or the USB. The reason for this is that I'm trying to power a 12V LED strip and I'd like to use a transistor to do so. Therefore the power lead will wire directly into both a transistor AND the netduino. Thanks.

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi rockinthesixstring and welcome to the boards, On your Netduino you have a Vin pin, you can directly supply 7.5-12V to that.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

*snip*
I'd like to use a transistor to do so. Therefore the power lead will wire directly into both a transistor AND the netduino.

Thanks.

I was advised to use TIP120 transistor for my projects as they can also handle the PWM switching if you want to be able to dim the lights.

"Maybe it's because you're a crap programmer"

#4 rockinthesixstring

rockinthesixstring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi rockinthesixstring and welcome to the boards,

On your Netduino you have a Vin pin, you can directly supply 7.5-12V to that.

Thanks Stefan, that's what I thought it was for, but I wasn't sure. The specs page doesn't speak to that at all.

#5 rockinthesixstring

rockinthesixstring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

I was advised to use TIP120 transistor for my projects as they can also handle the PWM switching if you want to be able to dim the lights.

@AJB2K3 can you speak to the TIP120 transistor a little bit? I'm not very familiar with supplies yet and I'd like to know what it achieves.

I just bought 8 of these
IRF540N IRF540 "IR" MOSFET N-Channel 33A 100V

#6 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

@AJB2K3 can you speak to the TIP120 transistor a little bit? I'm not very familiar with supplies yet and I'd like to know what it achieves.

I could but It doesn't speak back ( sorry I see your using a translations service) I'm still trying to get back into electronics after a 7 year absence so don't know the correct terminology.
I chose this because its often in the diagrams found online in this kind of project.

I just bought 8 of these
IRF540N IRF540 "IR" MOSFET N-Channel 33A 100V

Sorry not failure with this component

"Maybe it's because you're a crap programmer"

#7 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:10 AM

Hello Rockinthesixthstring! Could you explain better your goal? I meant that you only have to power the Netduino, while AJB2K3 is talking about the PWM. These are totally different contexts, I guess. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#8 rockinthesixstring

rockinthesixstring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

Hello Rockinthesixthstring!
Could you explain better your goal?
I meant that you only have to power the Netduino, while AJB2K3 is talking about the PWM. These are totally different contexts, I guess.
Cheers

I'm bringing power in from a "wall wart". It's then going to power the Netduino as well as supply power to a 12V LED strip. The netduino is simply going to be switching the RGB of the LED strip.

#9 Alexa

Alexa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm bringing power in from a "wall wart". It's then going to power the Netduino as well as supply power to a 12V LED strip. The netduino is simply going to be switching the RGB of the LED strip.

What kind of light strip is it? I'm looking at signaling some WS2811 12v strips, but I'm not sure I can do it with 5v logic...

#10 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm trying to figure out a way to power my Netduino Plus by directly attaching power leads to the board rather than relying on the plug or the USB. The reason for this is that I'm trying to power a 12V LED strip and I'd like to use a transistor to do so. Therefore the power lead will wire directly into both a transistor AND the netduino.

Thanks.

Rockinthesixstring,

What would suggest is a female pigtails and a wye barrell connector, I have several types that I purchased from Ebay and use them to power relay boards etc.

Chuck

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.