Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

My Netduino CNC Machine

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#141 karlmarxxx

karlmarxxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Darrin Can you post your updated code, thanks.

#142 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Darrin, Did you ever look into storing the gcode to the SD card?

#143 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

Darrin Can you post your updated code, thanks.

Sure thing. I was going to try and post to the git-hub repository, but I'm not familiar enough with it to do that so I will just attach a ZIP of the 2 source code solutions to this message.

If you have any questions on how to use them in your own project, please don't hesitate to ask.

Attached Files

#144 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

Darrin, Did you ever look into storing the gcode to the SD card?

Hey John,

I am currently storing pre-parsed g-code on the SD card in the form of motion commands. I buffer them onto the SD when the program is executed from the UI application. However the Netduino application does not directly parse the g-code, this is done on the Windows PC.

Does that answer your question?

#145 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Here's a new project video: Using my Netduino powered CNC machine to build an iPad stand from Walnut and Cherry. Enjoy!

#146 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

It's impressive that what starts out as a rough process...drilling into wood...turns into such a nice product in the end. Thanks for sharing this! Dang, I wonder what else we could make with Netduino-powered CNCs? Chris

#147 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Does that answer your question?

Yes, thanks

#148 baz926

baz926

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi, This project is awesome :D , Darrin you have done a great job. I am planning on building a similar setup for a school project. However I have a few questions; from reading through the posts I gather that you are using Netduino Plus (with the Ethernet IP communication) is this a necessity? Or can I just use a standard Netduino and adapt the code to communicate via USB? Also if I was to purchase a Netduino Plus instead of the standard one do you think it’s worthwhile? (Do I really need SD cards, and Ethernet? I have an arduino and have never needed them) Many Thanks in advance Regards Baz

#149 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hi Baz, Thanks for the comments. Yes I believe you could adapt the code to a standard netduino without too much effort. The SD card does help with the performance though, so you would lose some of the benefits of buffering the motion commands. I don't think that the "plus" is a must, but I enjoy having the ethernet and SD and have found them both to be very useful. I hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help with your machine.

#150 johnblagg

johnblagg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Here's a new project video: Using my Netduino powered CNC machine to build an iPad stand from Walnut and Cherry. Enjoy!

Hey Darrin I have read this entire post and really appreciate the work you have done here and would like to use it ... my only problem is I have a different set of driver boards and the pin outs are confusing me.

The bords I have have step , direction , and enable and I have not figured out which pins to use they are TB6560aho boards could you possibly help me with how to connect this to the netduino plus pins so I can run your code?

I have already built a rough 2 axis machine and plan on adding a 3rd axis if I can get some code running

#151 terb

terb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

great project ! love it ! :)

#152 babinda01

babinda01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hi Darrin I have just found your project - great work, and thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions if I may. 1. Can you pause the machine, if it is running a gcode file, at any stage? If so is the pause immediate or does it take a second or so to pause? 2. Have you worked out the maximum steps per second you can get? I am wanting to be able to get up to approx 100K steps per second. Best regards Andrew

#153 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

I have just found your project - great work, and thanks for sharing.

Hi, thanks for your comments and apologies for my slow response. I don't come onto the site much lately and haven't had as much time to spend enjoying my machine as I would like. As winter gets close, I hope I get more time to use it.

1. Can you pause the machine, if it is running a gcode file, at any stage? If so is the pause immediate or does it take a second or so to pause?

The current version of the software doesn't support a pause. I've intended to add one for some time, but in my use of the machine, really haven't had a time where a pause would be wanted.

I suppose there have been a few times where it started to do something I didn't want, and then I just hit the E-Stop (my Easy button) and abort the job. If I need to resume, I remove the g-code from the beginning of the program up until the point where it left off, and resume.

That being said, it wouldn't be difficult to add it to the code.

2. Have you worked out the maximum steps per second you can get? I am wanting to be able to get up to approx 100K steps per second.

I did find that there were 2 practical limits to the number of steps per second that I was able to attain. The first was how fast the Netduino could output steps, and the second was how fast the stepper could take them.

I found that the Netduino could output them faster than what the stepper could handle based on my low voltage drivers. Once I exceeded that limit, the motors stalled and missed steps and lost their position.

With a higher voltage driver, I'm sure I could output more torque at a faster step rate and at that point the Netduino would fall behind in what it could deliver. My code isn't very efficient in that regard, and is limited by the Netduino, but it's good enough for my application.

Hope that helps!

#154 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hey Darrin I have read this entire post and really appreciate the work you have done here and would like to use it ... my only problem is I have a different set of driver boards and the pin outs are confusing me.

The bords I have have step , direction , and enable and I have not figured out which pins to use they are TB6560aho boards could you possibly help me with how to connect this to the netduino plus pins so I can run your code?

Hi John,

Sorry for the late response, I haven't been around much. I'm not familiar with those boards, but if you can point me at a spec sheet, I'd be glad to have a look.

I have already built a rough 2 axis machine and plan on adding a 3rd axis if I can get some code running

If you get a chance, post some details on your machine, I'd love to see it!

#155 paulgb

paulgb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Fabulous project and great work Darrin B) Paul

#156 matheo1010

matheo1010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hello This project interests me very much, nice work. I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to adapt the program on the board Cerbuino Bee because I just made a CNC and I would drive it with this board. Thank you.

#157 matheo1010

matheo1010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Nobody can help me?
I have just received the board and I'm a bit lost: s
thanks.

#158 twinnaz

twinnaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

how can I deploy on a n+2 im having deployment issues vs2012 says I cannot find my netduino and if I change he target to 4.3 then your pwm class throws and error

Netduino Plus 2

#159 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hey all I have been away for some time I was going to be working on some changes on this project so I thought I would give this thread a poke ;)

Darrin did you ever get a repo setup for this?

#160 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

Hey all I know Phil created a repo for this a while back but I needed to update the code to with with .NET MF 4.2 so I created a new public repo under a MIT License. I will try to keep it up to date and maybe toss in some new features. 

repo location: https://github.com/jcphlux/DazCam

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.