Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

My Netduino CNC Machine

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#121 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

So I have been working on my new CNC Machine and I wanted to know if there was any progress on this project. The GitHub project is 5 months old.

#122 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

So I have been working on my new CNC Machine and I wanted to know if there was any progress on this project. The GitHub project is 5 months old.

Hey John,

I've completed my machine and have been using it on almost a weekly basis to create parts for various wood working projects. I love my machine! I'm out of town right now but when I get home, I'll post pictures of the completed version as well as some of the projects I've worked on with it. I'll also upload the latest version of the software which I think is running like a champ on the Netduino.

How is the progress with your machine coming?

#123 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

How is the progress with your machine coming?

I have a Image Build log on Flickr.

I am building my driver board now and getting my wiring fished up. I am wanting to build it as nice as I can the first time because once I get it done I will not want to mess with it anymore I will be messing with my projects. I have also been reading on mounting a laser on it to get cleaner cuts.

#124 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Here is an image of the un-boxing of the kit I got.

Posted Image

#125 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm out of town right now but when I get home

Darrin, when will you be getting home.

#126 inxtremo

inxtremo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hi, great projects in this thread. Wish my own cnc in the future. One simple and fast question, Has anyone implemented acceleration and deceleration for the stepper motors. Tried it myself but it not really works great. Thanks a lot, Daniel

#127 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Daniel,
I am still working on getting my drivers working so this would be a question for Darrin.

#128 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:13 AM

I have a Image Build log on Flickr.

I am building my driver board now and getting my wiring fished up. I am wanting to build it as nice as I can the first time because once I get it done I will not want to mess with it anymore I will be messing with my projects. I have also been reading on mounting a laser on it to get cleaner cuts.

Hi John,

Your machine is looking great. Can't wait to see pictures and videos of the finished product! You're more than welcome to use my software and make changes to it as you see fit. The software has performed like a champ for me. I'll post some photos of some of my latest CNC creations below.

#129 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

great projects in this thread. Wish my own cnc in the future.

One simple and fast question, Has anyone implemented acceleration and deceleration for the stepper motors. Tried it myself but it not really works great.

Thanks a lot,
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the comments. You can have a CNC, it's not that far out of reach. Just spend the time to read and study and acquire parts and you will eventually get there. A few years ago, I was thinking the same as you, and now every Saturday I'm in the garage running my machine and loving it! :)

To answer your question: No I haven't yet implemented acceleration or deceleration curves in my code. It's on my wish list, but to be honest it has not caused me to have any difficulty in producing parts the way I want. I know overall it would be better, but for my hobby-level machining operations, the code works great without it.

That being said, my code is up on git-hub and I would be thrilled to see others add enhancements such as this to it. If nobody does it, I may eventually get to it myself :)

Cheers

#130 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

It has been a while since I updated this thread. As I mentioned earlier, my machine is to a point I would consider finished and functional. I use it every weekend and I'm having a great time learning new ways to improve it and have made many fun wood projects with it. I intend to eventually build a version 2 of the machine and improve on many of the mistakes I made with my first build, but until then I plan to get as much use out of it as I can. Since my previous posts, I have built a stand for the machine (to get it off of the saw horses) and also a wood enclosure for the Netduino and stepper motor drivers. I still have the electronics in prototyping breadboards but I figured that it wasn't broken so I wouldn't fix it. Perhaps one day I will have the CNC etch a propper PCB, who knows. Here are a number of photos of the machine and some of the things I've made with it. Also, here are a few links to some of the videos of it in action, and the wood clock I am currently building with it. Enjoy! Using my CNC as an oscillating spindle sander: Prototype escapement for a clock I am building with the CNC machine:

Attached Files

#131 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Darrin, This takes an already-awesome project and makes it even more useful. Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing this! Chris

#132 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Darrin, simply astonishing work - you're a genius!

#133 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

great projects in this thread. Wish my own cnc in the future.

One simple and fast question, Has anyone implemented acceleration and deceleration for the stepper motors. Tried it myself but it not really works great.

Thanks a lot,
Daniel

Im looking to build a 3 axis controller for the GO, the drivers i plan to use (L6470's) do feature hardware accel and deccel. profiles amongst other goodies...

Nak.

#134 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Nakchak: I'll have to check out that driver. Amazing that it handles acceleration. Not sure that I understand how it could do that with coordinated axes, or does it handle all 3+ axes on 1 board? I'd be interested in that for my next machine.

#135 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Darrin, I am doing a write up for the SkapeOko Wiki on using a Netduino in place of the standard Arduino do you have an problem with me referencing you and this project there.

#136 Darrin

Darrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:34 AM

Darrin,
I am doing a write up for the SkapeOko Wiki on using a Netduino in place of the standard Arduino do you have an problem with me referencing you and this project there.

Hi John,

No not at all. Do you have a link I can see, sounds interesting?

#137 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

No not at all. Do you have a link I can see, sounds interesting?

I am waiting to create the new section until I finish my CNC and have it working.

#138 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Nakchak: I'll have to check out that driver. Amazing that it handles acceleration. Not sure that I understand how it could do that with coordinated axes, or does it handle all 3+ axes on 1 board?

I'd be interested in that for my next machine.

The board I will be developing will be a 3 axis controller, i.e. 3 drivers with an API to control each one, spark fun currently sell a board based around the L6470. Though what i intend to do for the GO will be a bit different (and some what cheaper for 3 axis as i have some samples of the device in question, so don't want to spend $35 a board)

If you look at the data sheet for the device you can see how its accel and decel profiles work, also does a lot of the legwork for you in so much that it has goto commands which you feed the number of steps you want it to step to etc.

Nak.

#139 John Cutburth

John Cutburth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

The board I will be developing will be a 3 axis controller, i.e. 3 drivers with an API to control each one, spark fun currently sell a board based around the L6470. Though what i intend to do for the GO will be a bit different (and some what cheaper for 3 axis as i have some samples of the device in question, so don't want to spend $35 a board)

So what do you think the price point will be around for your 3 axis controller?

#140 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

As i am only starting the design phase of the project at the moment, i am hoping to have a BOM < $50 USD, although the PCB production will effect the outcome of the final price somewhat, i hope to produce the boards either with my bubble etching system or with my mill, however i may still opt for professional fabrication, especially as the use of thermal vias is recommended for the driver i plan to use. Please bear in mind that $50 is only a best guess at this point of the project, but i certainly hope i can keep the total cost below the magic no questions asked amount of $100 ;), have to appease other half :P Nak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.