Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Sparkfun Serial LCD Backpack

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Green

Scott Green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

I bought a Sparkfun Serial LCD backpack http://seismo.sparkf...om/products/258 to hook up to one of my parallel 20x4 LCDs. Soldered it up, and the backpack/lcd works fine except I can only access 16x2 of the LCD. On the sparkfun site they show 16x2 and a 20x4 firmware for this backpack. I assume I need to flash the backpack with the 20x4 firmware. Problem is, I have no idea how to do this and Sparkfun is not showing up in their own forums to answer my question, so hoping some of you good people have an idea how I would do this. Questions: 1) Have any of you hooked this backpack up to a 20x4 LCD? 2) Do you have to reflash to use the 20x4 LCD? 3) How do I go about reflashing this? Do I need a pic programmer, or is there a way to flash it from a netduino? Thanks, Scott...

#2 ajcg1973

ajcg1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

I bought a Sparkfun Serial LCD backpack http://seismo.sparkf...om/products/258 to hook up to one of my parallel 20x4 LCDs. Soldered it up, and the backpack/lcd works fine except I can only access 16x2 of the LCD. On the sparkfun site they show 16x2 and a 20x4 firmware for this backpack. I assume I need to flash the backpack with the 20x4 firmware.

Problem is, I have no idea how to do this and Sparkfun is not showing up in their own forums to answer my question, so hoping some of you good people have an idea how I would do this.

Questions:
1) Have any of you hooked this backpack up to a 20x4 LCD?
2) Do you have to reflash to use the 20x4 LCD?
3) How do I go about reflashing this? Do I need a pic programmer, or is there a way to flash it from a netduino?

Thanks,
Scott...

I have used the backpack that has already been attached to the 4 x 20 LCD so it was already configured but if you look at the datasheet (SerLCD v2.5 Datasheet on the link that you provided) you need to pass the LCD size to the backpack and it will save the new size to EEPROM. The datasheet tells you how to do this as well as has a table of the different sizes with the correct coding. You don't need to re-program the back pack to make this type of change as the firmware already supports 4 x 20 LCDs.

#3 Scott Green

Scott Green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:20 AM

Awesome! Thank you, I'll give that a shot... Scott...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.