Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Selecting a RC car for Netduino Conversion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ScottyG

ScottyG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hey, I'm thinking that buying a cheep RC car/4x4 would be a good base for a unmanned project. I just want to ask if any one has any comments on the RC to NetDuino conversion. Should i cut everything out except the motors? Should i be integrating with the existing electronics?

#2 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

Get most any toy RC car. Ditch the control electronics, use an H-bridge or brushed ESC for the motor (be careful not to overvolt with a brushed ESC...). The steering will probably use some sort of feedback mechanism unless it's not proportional. That's probably about as much as you'll need to know. Won't know specifics until you crack it open. Hobby grade RC cars are notoriously easy to run with the Netduino or pretty much any other MCU with a minimum of 2 PWMs. I used a Traxxas Stampede, however this will be a MUCH more expensive route than using a toy RC car. Expect to pay at least $200 for a hobby grade car.

#3 Jim Wells

Jim Wells

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

I say go with the hobby grade. I have a ~$150 1/8th scale and my breadboard fits perfecially between the suspention. I attached a picture of version 1 which has an Arduino on it. My current one which I don't have a picture of is running Netduino. But I would say 1/8th scale fits my needs quite well and gives me the speed to have fun if I want to. I kept the Speed controler and just removed the reciever. I PWM into it to control the motor and the steering.

Note: for anyone who is going to bash me for posting a picture of an Arduino, that car put a nice dent in my garage door and retired that Arduino (and almost the car) for good. And a side note to that, always work your safety kill switch to turn off the motor not full speed... Just sayin.

Posted Image

#4 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

If we're showing off our hobby grade RC car projects, see: this

...At least, that's what it looked like a long time ago. Looks totally different, but no current pictures.

#5 Christoc

Christoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBallwin, MO

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Chris, enjoy MST, I have fond memories of my time at Rolla (i'm still not sure why though)

View my blog at ChrisHammond.com

Projects: Netduino Tank/Tracked Vehicle, DNNFoos, Random other bits

#6 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

Chris, enjoy MST, I have fond memories of my time at Rolla (i'm still not sure why though)

We must be having a good time, I get an email about every other day warning the floor about some rule they repeatedly broke the night before.

/derail

.. Also, on the subject, check out Hobbyking before you try to buy a toy RC car. I just remembered they have some cheap mini scale cars that would work beautifully with a Netduino.

#7 ScottyG

ScottyG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:09 AM

Great Information. I picked up a super cheep RC that has no steering but the collection of transistors controlling the forward and reverse from the RX-3 type IC is a great puzzle that i intend to make use of. So steering will be a spare stepping motor i have. When i out grow my $5 RC ill get back. Thanks I love your rig Jim. When i get where you are i intend to mount a cam and navigate from the video stream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.