Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Help updating Netduino firmware

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

I would be honored if you did either of those things. It's nice to give back for a change.

Jeremy.

I feel that original netduino seems to have some issue with deployment, it hangs pretty frequently. should I update it with this version of firmware? any instruction on how to? or should I use Tera Term?

Thanks!

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

I feel that original netduino seems to have some issue with deployment, it hangs pretty frequently. should I update it with this version of firmware? any instruction on how to? or should I use Tera Term?

Hai, you shouldn't get hanging on deployment... Please update to the latest firmware. If you can reproduce a hanging-on-deployment issue after updating to the newest firmware, please let us know as we'd like to hunt down the issue.

Newest firmware: http://forums.netdui...e-v410-patch-2/

To update it, you simply use MFDeploy. Instructions in post. No terminal programs needed.

Chris

#3 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hai, you shouldn't get hanging on deployment... Please update to the latest firmware. If you can reproduce a hanging-on-deployment issue after updating to the newest firmware, please let us know as we'd like to hunt down the issue.

Newest firmware: http://forums.netdui...e-v410-patch-2/

To update it, you simply use MFDeploy. Instructions in post. No terminal programs needed.

Chris

I'd also add that GCC 4.4 is currently strictly experimental. Microsoft have only verified the firmware built with the GCC 4.2 compiler.

It will take a while to make sure it is fully stable with GCC 4.4

#4 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

I'd also add that GCC 4.4 is currently strictly experimental. Microsoft have only verified the firmware built with the GCC 4.2 compiler.

It will take a while to make sure it is fully stable with GCC 4.4

Great!
I will try to update firmware tonight.

Thanks!

#5 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

Great!
I will try to update firmware tonight.

Thanks!

Chris,
I think my NetDuino may have been failed, it has been having issues with deployment since last weekend, now i figure out that it doesn't pass ping test the second time. everytime I plug in the USB, it pings first time, but whenever I click on ping again it just hang there. I removed all wiring on the board but still does not help. Also everytime when I click on 'device capacities' from MFDeploy it hangs

Do you know anything I could try

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:12 AM

I think my NetDuino may have been failed, it has been having issues with deployment since last weekend, now i figure out that it doesn't pass ping test the second time. everytime I plug in the USB, it pings first time, but whenever I click on ping again it just hang there. I removed all wiring on the board but still does not help. Also everytime when I click on 'device capacities' from MFDeploy it hangs

Do you know anything I could try

Are you running the newest firmware (v4.1.0.2)?

Also, try going into bootloader mode (just hold down the pushbutton while plugging in your Netduino--and it should stay in TinyBooter for a few seconds. PING it from MFDeploy and it will stay there for 20 seconds longer). Once you're in TinyBooter, try pinging the device a few times. If that works, try to ERASE your app and then reboot your Netduino--and see if everything has been fixed for you.

Chris

#7 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:19 AM

Are you running the newest firmware (v4.1.0.2)?

Also, try going into bootloader mode (just hold down the pushbutton while plugging in your Netduino--and it should stay in TinyBooter for a few seconds. PING it from MFDeploy and it will stay there for 20 seconds longer). Once you're in TinyBooter, try pinging the device a few times. If that works, try to ERASE your app and then reboot your Netduino--and see if everything has been fixed for you.

Chris

Chris,
I am still on the same version of firmware that board was shipped with, I have not updated it. I have been having issues deployment my app so I was trying to update firmware as you suggested, but I am not able to ping the device now so I couldnt do anything.

i am able to ping my FEZ and view Device Capacities of the FEZ so there is no issue with MFDeploy. Netduino does have power, I tried with different USB cable as well with the same result.

Thanks!

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:25 AM

I am still on the same version of firmware that board was shipped with, I have not updated it. I have been having issues deployment my app so I was trying to update firmware as you suggested, but I am not able to ping the device now so I couldnt do anything.

Hai--hold down the pushbutton on your Netduino when you plug in its USB cable. Can you then ping the device, update the firmware, etc.?

Chris

#9 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:44 AM

Hai--hold down the pushbutton on your Netduino when you plug in its USB cable. Can you then ping the device, update the firmware, etc.?

Chris

IT SEEMS THAT THE ONLY TIME I CAN PING IT IS PINGING WHILE HOLDING DOWN LOADER BUTTON , AND THE SAME FOR DEPLOYING ER_CONFIG(DONE), DEPLOYING ER_FLASH
---
NEW FIRMWARE SEEMS TO SAVE MY NETDUINO CHIP. I'LL BE PRETTY SAD IF IT DIE ON MY ARM. YOU SAVE MY NETDUINO!
---
OK I CAN SLEEP WELL TONIGHT

THANKS CHRIS.

#10 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

Chris, is there any newer firmware you want to suggest, even with the new firmware v4.1.0.2, still runs into problem with deployment, very so often that the deployment hangs. the rest of the times it takes too long for a simple program -Thanks!

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

is there any newer firmware you want to suggest, even with the new firmware v4.1.0.2, still runs into problem with deployment, very so often that the deployment hangs. the rest of the times it takes too long for a simple program

Hi Hai,

Do you have the same issue when you erase your Netduino and then deploy the "blinky" app (or a blank app)?

Also, how big is the app you're trying to deploy? If you can reproduce the slowness in deployment for us, we'd love to take a look at it...

Chris

#12 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

Hi Hai,

Do you have the same issue when you erase your Netduino and then deploy the "blinky" app (or a blank app)?

Also, how big is the app you're trying to deploy? If you can reproduce the slowness in deployment for us, we'd love to take a look at it...

Chris

I didn't play with it much since I deloyed new firmware. I planned to deploy a blank app last night but it was late so I will try again tonight when I get home. but the app that I was having problem with was also very simple one something like this
initialize sharp distance sensor.
while(true){
 write sensor reading
 wait for a little
}
thanks!

#13 Caffeine

Caffeine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:46 AM

I'm also getting some hanging issues with the netduino (which arrived this morning!) It will be fine for a couple of deployments or debugging, but then will cease to work. Running the 4.1.0.2 firmware too. Symptoms are variously: I can deploy (the blinky app for example) (not debugging) but the code doesn't run (no blinking). This can be resolved by removing and reinserting the USB cable. I can't deploy when debugging, the VS 2010 (express) output window says "rebooting", Attached File  Rebooting.png   11.94KB   12 downloads and it 'never' changes (I say never, but I give up after a couple of minutes). I press stop on the debugger, but VS presents a dialog saying the debugging is waiting to stop. Attached File  Debugging.png   12.23KB   14 downloads If I then choose stop on the dialog, replug the netduino, I can then deploy, but debugging gives another error "An error has occurred. Please check your hardware". Attached File  ErrorCheckHardware.png   19.41KB   12 downloads To recover from this I need to use the MFdeploy tool to erase the managed code. Apart from that, when it does work it's fantastic! I have another netduino here that has the original firmware (4.1.0.1 I think) so I'll try that on the same PC / USB cable and see if it's different.

#14 Caffeine

Caffeine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

I have another netduino here that has the original firmware (4.1.0.1 I think) so I'll try that on the same PC / USB cable and see if it's different.

The same symptoms occur with the 4.1.0.1 firmware, so it's probably something peculiar to my PC here (Win XP SP3, VS 2010 Express). I'll try from my home PC tonight (VS2010 professional, Win7 64bit)

On a positive note I've got an analog devices ADXL202 accelerometer, and a TAOS TSL2550 I2C light sensor working nicely. I'll work on my sparkfun OLED tonight...

#15 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

One of our users running a Parallels VM on the Mac had a similar issue and we traced it back to the Atmel USB code. We've pinged Atmel to help get a resolution on the issue. It's generally not a big deal if you can just press the RESET button to get things to deploy--but we're working on a more permanent solution as well... Chris

#16 Caffeine

Caffeine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:05 AM

Well the debugging problems didn't occur on another PC (win XP SP3, VS2010 professional) so it's something related to my PC here... (considering it has VS2005 professional, VS2008 professional, VS2010 express, GCC, borland C++ builder and eclipse on it, that's not a surprise!)

#17 ajcg1973

ajcg1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

Well the debugging problems didn't occur on another PC (win XP SP3, VS2010 professional) so it's something related to my PC here... (considering it has VS2005 professional, VS2008 professional, VS2010 express, GCC, borland C++ builder and eclipse on it, that's not a surprise!)

I was having a similar issue with debugging on VS2010 and Windows 7 64bit. I found that the new ALPHA firmware and the Microsoft SDK 4.1 QFE virtually eliminated all of my connecttion issues between the debugger and the Netduino. The only issue that I have had since going to the latest version is for some reason I had to re-install the Netduino SDK because Visual Studio wasn't able to reference the Secret Labs DLLs. This has only happened once and I don't think so far it is related to the upgrade. Having to unplug and plug-in the Netduino 20% of the time during development was a real pain and I haven't had to do that once since the upgrade a few days ago.---AJB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.