Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

A Software guy drowning in the Hardware world...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Moskus

Moskus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

I am anxiously awaiting Chris's book release. The "Internet of things" book just didn't do it for me. Maybe Chris's book will? Maybe it will simply "click!" for me?

You know what? I totally agree.

The "Internet of things" didn't do it for me either. And my background is from a "software viewpoint" than hardware. The explanations in the book are awkward and backwards, to me it seems like the author explains thing with itself. So the explanations end up being too basic or too advanced. Like "A web server is a server that serves web content".

Some of the explanations I had to show a professional programmer and he said "I know what he means but I had to read it three times".

However, what I'm planning to do is to use the code in the book when I get that far. The whole idea of getting the Plus version is to fetch data in one way or another over Ethernet. :)

Give me my soldering iron!!! My kingdom for a roll of solder! A damp sponge. Needle nosed pliers and diagonal cutters. Spec sheets rule!!

Hehehe, I hope I get there some day! ... :D

#22 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

I don't want to hurt anyone, believe me Moskus, but I'm having hard time to understand what are your expectations. I read your viewpoint as I wanted to cook, I want to pick up some random ingredients (without knowing them), and magically a wonderful pie will pop out from inside the oven. The Micro Framework (Netduino) or Arduino worlds are TOO close to the hardware layer to avoid considering them. Simply you can't. The biggest difference between the Compact/Standard .Net and the Micro is the direct access to the hardware layer. If you want to keep abstracted from hardware, you should use a PC. Please, forgive my roughness, but I wish to point the reality. Again, without any hurt. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#23 Moskus

Moskus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

I don't want to hurt anyone, believe me Moskus, but I'm having hard time to understand what are your expectations.

OK, I re-read my first post and tried to interpret it form a EE point of view. And I see that perhaps I came on "a little strong".

There is a learning curve for everything. I know that. ;)

What I want to do for starters is to just connect an accelerometer to an Netduino Plus and be able to read it over LAN. I'll store the data somewhere, on file or in a database, and will use my computer(s) to interpret the vibrations. That's a mathematic and programmatic issue, and really has nothing to do with the Netduino at all. My biggest problem with this is the connection between the accelerometer and Netduino, it is as simple as that. That problem should be relatively easy to solve, even for me. :)

Next I want to control a motor over LAN. I don't want to create my own circuit board for this, I just want to control the motor. If there is an existing shield that let me do this, that's great! Send me the link! If there is an easy circuit I can make myself using a breadboard, then please let me know. Again, it's just to get me started.

Then, when I read more and more, and get more and more experience I want to look into the whole XBee-distance-tracking-find-position thing. If that works out, I will try to make "my sensors" communicate with my house (over 433 MHz RF). I'm not in any rush or anything, and I don't have a deadline. I'll take my time and have FUN learning about electronics! That's my main goal. :)

My feet are firmly planted on the ground.
I know I'm not capable of creating wonderful circuits (or even applications) that will give us world peace or solve the middle east conflict. I know I don't have the resources to be Microsoft, I'm not going to be able to invent the new cool thing in electronics and make it work for millions of people. However, I can be like Apple: Combine already well known- technology to create something that already exsists, but I do it my way. But unlike Apple I'm not going to claim that it is "a revolution" and "it changes everything"... Posted Image

I want to solve my small, simple everyday problems. And I want to have fun. :)
Does that explain my point of view?

#24 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Ya!...I have understand your viewpoint! Unfortunately I am not the right person who can give you links for shields. Using Nteduino I have no a specific target, other than make it more versatile for industrial/pro apps. When I create a "project" with Netduino (or Arduino) most of the time is to test what are the difficulties to achieve one or more functionalities. You may read my posts: I am a strange guy...maybe I am somewhat polemic! However, sometimes is difficult to understand the other's people viewpoint. Happy to learn something new today. Cheers

#25 Moskus

Moskus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Using Nteduino I have no a specific target, other than make it more versatile for industrial/pro apps.
When I create a "project" with Netduino (or Arduino) most of the time is to test what are the difficulties to achieve one or more functionalities.

I guess the main difference between you and me is that you know what you're doing... ;)

#26 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

It's kind of you, but I don't think so...
I develop software as well, but I never seriously learn CS.
10-15 years ago I used to program with VB6, but I didn't know anything about APIs, GDI, etc. Nothing more than IF-THEN.
When I need something more (better: when the customers asking for something more), there was only two choices:
  • be lucky to find an ActiveX making what I need, or
  • write at low-level (C/C++, APIs, etc)
Of course, I had no chances: the first option!
The problem was *ANYTIME* the chosen ActiveX makes the 90% of your needs...and the remaining?
"Sorry, I can't do it!", or similar...

That was time to turn...and learn something seriously. Magically the things has been changed dramatically!

That's the way I make some effort to understand some viewpoints. I am still scared about the weakness of being not able to do something. Of course, the hardware "ActiveX" is very useful, but I like more trying to create by myself.
However, I don't blame you at all: most of our customers share your viewpoint. They primarily want to solve a problem...maybe later they study how to improve that.
Cheers

***OFF TOPIC***
Still any trouble about the multiple murder? I notice you're from Norway.
***OFF TOPIC***

#27 Moskus

Moskus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

That's the way I make some effort to understand some viewpoints. I am still scared about the weakness of being not able to do something. Of course, the hardware "ActiveX" is very useful, but I like more trying to create by myself.
However, I don't blame you at all: most of our customers share your viewpoint. They primarily want to solve a problem...maybe later they study how to improve that.

For me, it's mainly an issue with time. My time is somewhat limited, and has to be shared between multiple interests and my 5 month old daughter and wife (which is at the very top of my list of priorities).

I would love to be able to take the time I could to learn "everything", but unfortunately that's not possible. :(

***OFF TOPIC***
Still any trouble about the multiple murder? I notice you're from Norway.
***OFF TOPIC***

The guy is in prison (where he should be) while the case is being investigated. Apparently he feels sorry for himself because he is kept isolated.

It is so tragic I don't even know where to begin...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.