Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Edward

Edward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

P.S. Does anyone have a simple project (something along the lines of "Hello world" or maybe a little more sophisticated) which regularly causes a BSOD?

Chris

My experience is that the problem is strongly exacerbated by the size of the project. I've a project that has a deployment size of 57k and it'll cause the BSOD on the second deployment; every time. I'm on Win7 x64 and Netduino Plus. So to get something reproducible just write "Hello World" and link in a buch of extra libraries.

The debug stack trace I posted pretty clearly shows a recusive behaviour around the operation completion continuation function. I also see that there's a check in of the driver code for RC2 that may be an attempt to fix this by putting a monitor on the completion.

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

The debug stack trace I posted pretty clearly shows a recusive behaviour around the operation completion continuation function. I also see that there's a check in of the driver code for RC2 that may be an attempt to fix this by putting a monitor on the completion.

I believe that the new check-in is identical to the code in the beta drivers posted here.

Good info on "large projects". Are you sending large amounts of debug info from the device by any chance?

Chris

#23 Edward

Edward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

Are you sending large amounts of debug info from the device by any chance?

It'd be nice to be able to get to the point where I could look at the debug info ;->

But no, with that project size the steps are:
Boot windows
Start VS
Deploy project
Click stop debug
Deploy project
Deploy hangs
Reset NP -> BSOD (or 50% of the time straight to BIOS)

#24 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

It'd be nice to be able to get to the point where I could look at the debug info ;->

Sorry, let me rephrase that :)

In the app which is currently on your Netduino, is it writing out lots of Debug info? If you connect from MFDeploy, do you see lots of incoming data?

Chris

#25 Edward

Edward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:58 AM

In the app which is currently on your Netduino, is it writing out lots of Debug info?

Nope - it just prints an "I'm alive" message every 10 seconds from the main thread.
The app is a little HTTP server hosting a SilverLight client, so it's just sitting idle waiting for a connect.

#26 Chad

Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Because this is happening every time to me (well 3 in a row), and it might be related to the program currently running on the netduino, I was wondering if there is a way to delete/erase the program without completely wiping the netduino so you have to re-load the boot loader and everything? FYI, this was not happening at all several weeks ago. I've been successfully working on a project, deploying many many times. I put down the netduino for a few weeks while working on an arduino. I went back to the netduino and now deployment fails and BSOD if I unplug. To me it seems like something I installed in the intervening weeks has triggered the problem. If this is of any help, here is the list of programs and service packs installed since it worked. Chad Edit: I have gone back to 4.1 firmware and still get the blue screen. I haven't tried going back to 4.1 of the framework SDK as it supports both 4.1 and 4.2, but a few more re-boots and I'll try that.

Attached Files

#27 Edward

Edward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

What's happening on this? The Codeplex status is "Several suggestions are in the hands of SecretLabs to produce a new firmware image" For me the problem happens alot with ND+ and 4.2. But it also happens on 4.1 and other targets e.g. GHI Cobra albeit a lot less frequently. Feels luke the ball is in the wrong court to me (hope that translates).

#28 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hi Edward, We tried the suggestions with 4.2 RC1 but were still experienced crashes. We'll build an "RC3" against the RTM release...and if the issue persists then we can rapidly iterate from there. Chris

#29 tlmiii01

tlmiii01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi Edward,

We tried the suggestions with 4.2 RC1 but were still experienced crashes.

We'll build an "RC3" against the RTM release...and if the issue persists then we can rapidly iterate from there.

Chris

Any updates on this? I tried using the beta drivers with RC3 and my Win7 machine is still crashing.

~Thomas

#30 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

Hi Thomas, If you are using RC3 and the beta NETMF drivers...and still experiencing BSODs...please post your experience on netmf.codeplex.com. We have seen a huge reduction in the number of BSODs using RC3 and the beta drivers...but there may be more potential issues in the latest NETMF 4.2 code. Chris

#31 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

Is there a signed version of this BETA driver?

#32 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:40 AM

Hi Valkyrie-MT,

Is there a signed version of this BETA driver?

Once we have verified that the .NET MF 4.2 driver bugs are fixed, we'll change the VID/PID and sign the driver. The current driver is the generic version (no VID/PID) from the Porting Kit.

Details: since non-class-drivers are generally tied to specific VID/PIDs and there is no generic VID/PID for .NET MF devices, we sign the drivers here as part of the SDK. [We don't want to knowingly sign a driver with bugs in it though...so we're just waiting for validation that things are working well.]

Chris

#33 Nathan Baker

Nathan Baker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

I got a BSOD, and the general long delays during deploys. Switched to dev'ing in a winXP VM for now. From a deployment / stability standpoint, this is working great! From a UI standpoint, I HATE XP. Posted Image

Also, if you flash the bootloader, when you should be plugging in and deploying the netduino firmware, it is not recognized and I had to remove the device and delete this driver for MFDeploy to see the device.

FYI, I'm running Win7 x64 and my devices are Netduino plus.
Posted Image

#34 Nathan Baker

Nathan Baker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

Ok, I have been using this driver for a few weeks and have some more feedback. Seems that it is conflicting with my nVidia drivers. Launching a game will cause the graphics driver to crash with in minutes, but only when the netduino is plugged in. Otherwise it will lock up once every so often. When the netduino is not plugged in, I don't seem to be having this problem at all.
Posted Image

#35 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hi unr34l-dud3, Can you post this over at netmf.codeplex.com as a bug report? We'd like to get the driver issues sorted out ASAP so that we can move closer to the 4.2 release...and by improving the core driver we improve the .NET MF experience for all. Chris

#36 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

Seems that it is conflicting with my nVidia drivers.

I just switched from nVidia to ATI about 3 weeks ago and I have not noticed any change in this. If I unplug USB while deploying, BSOD. GPU does not seem to matter for me. Wish it was that easy. I would switch to XP, but I run a hefty client app with my Netduino+ and I need to use more than 3GB RAM.

I have developed guidelines for what to do and what not to do for myself. When you are deploying/starting debugger with Netduino, I wait up to 10 seconds for the app size info to show up in the output window. If it does not show up, I cancel the deploy and wait for the run button to re-enable. Then I unplug/replug USB and as soon as the Blue LED turns off, I click the run button. That procedure usually works, but it makes me sad. :(

P.S., the size of that signature image makes me sad too ;)

-Valkyrie-MT

#37 Nathan Baker

Nathan Baker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

After some extensive messing, I finally got my vid card issue fixed, which turned out only to be aggravated by any USB device. I have not tried the netduino on my win7 x64 machine yet as I have all of my stuff setup within winXP x86. Will try it again one of these days when I get this magical thing called time. Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.