Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Wireless Ethernet Adapter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

I just got my Netduino Plus from Amazon a few days ago and have been browsing the Forum for hardware hints. I noticed the WiFi issue relative to shields and adapters so I thought I would pass on my experiences with the ASUS WL-330gE router. This is a tiny travel IEEE802.11g device about the size of a deck of cards. It has one ethernet port and four modes for connecting, 1. Router/Gateway mode 2. Access Point (AP) mode 3. Ethernet Adapter mode 4. Universal Repeater mode I am using it in the ethernet adapter mode (3) and the setup is extremly simple: 1. power up, press the reset button for 15 sec. After reboot connect to your computer via an ethernet cable 2. set the lan port on your computer to a fixed IP address, say 192.168.1.119 3. point your browser to 192.168.1.220 for its web page setup 4. select the adapter tab 5. visible wireless networks will appear, select one 6. click connect, enter your key and the adapter will acquire an IP address 7. disconnect the ethernet cable and plug it into the ethernet port on your device. I have been using this adapter with an Obi110 ATA for VoIP. I have the SimpleWebserver from the Silverlight Developer web site installed on the Netduino+. I simply unpluged the adapter from the Obi and into the Netduino. I then typed (192.168.0.111 is the router assigned address for Netduino), http://192.168.0.111...d.html?SayHello and Netduino answered with Hello, world. You can power the adapter from a USB port (cable included) or from the supplied 5v, 1A wall wart. So all-in-all, this is a pretty simple solution to add wireless capability. Incidentally, Newegg is currently selling this for $15 after rebate with free shipping (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833320025). Baxter

#2 jerrykern

jerrykern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when I tried doing this with the newer 330N, in step 6, the adapter is assigned an IP address outside of the subnet mask range allowed by my true wireless router. Then, when I have the Netduino Plus I'm using tell me it's IP address, it tells me yet a different one, also outside of the router's range.It seems like the 330N wants to act like a router (DHCP'ing when it shouldn't) even though I'm telling it to act like an adapter.Has anyone else tried using the 330N?

#3 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hi jerrykern,

I haven't tried the 330N.I am now using the Edimax BR-6258n NANO

http://www.edimax.co..._id=3&pl2_id=18

and it works quite well. Edimax refers to the Asus Adapter Mode as Infrastructure Mode.

I give the adapter a fixed IP address outside of the router DHCP range. For example, my router has an address 192.168.0.1 with a DHCP range of 192.168.0.100-150. I use 192.168.0.4 for the adapter and a fixed IP address for the Netduino, say 192.168.0.40. Once the adapter is setup and on the network, then plug in your Netdino wait a bit and ping the Netduino. Then do an arp -a and you should see the Netduino and the adapter in the arp table. The Netduino will have now taken the MAC address of the adapter, but it is on the network with its own IP address. The adapter merely plays the role of a conduit to the Netduino. Here is a guide for the Edimax; it may or may not help you with the 330N,

www.edimax.us/html/Faq/BR6258nStationInfrastructure.pdf

Baxter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.