Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

VB2010 Express

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mimtarsden

mimtarsden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hi Newbie here, I Have just got my Netduino Plus as I saw it now has BETA VB.net support. I'm using VB2010 Express. I updated the the firmware TinyBooter and the new beta firmware I installed the beta SDK everything seemed to go fine. So I then made the blinky program to test out. It works sort of... When I click the start debugging button the status at the bottom left of the screen gets hung up at 'Preparing to deploy assemblies to the device' after a minute or two VB comes back saying it can't communicate with the device. If I cancel the deploy and unplug the Netduino and then hit 'start debugging' while the device is booting, the code gets downloaded to the netduino without error, however, VB gets hung up. The status reports 'The debugging target is not in an initialised state; rebooting'. It hangs here and gets no further. If I hit the reset button on the netduino the netduino reboots and the code is executed and the LED starts flashing. VB stays hung on 'The debugging target is not in an initialised state; rebooting'. If I hit 'stop debugging' VS goes back to the editor window. I know the software is in beta so it may be a bug or it may be me doing something wrong?

#2 skytribe

skytribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hi Newbie here,

I Have just got my Netduino Plus as I saw it now has BETA VB.net support.

I'm using VB2010 Express. I updated the the firmware TinyBooter and the new beta firmware I installed the beta SDK everything seemed to go fine.

So I then made the blinky program to test out. It works sort of... When I click the start debugging button the status at the bottom left of the screen gets hung up at 'Preparing to deploy assemblies to the device' after a minute or two VB comes back saying it can't communicate with the device.

If I cancel the deploy and unplug the Netduino and then hit 'start debugging' while the device is booting, the code gets downloaded to the netduino without error, however, VB gets hung up. The status reports 'The debugging target is not in an initialised state; rebooting'. It hangs here and gets no further.

If I hit the reset button on the netduino the netduino reboots and the code is executed and the LED starts flashing. VB stays hung on 'The debugging target is not in an initialised state; rebooting'. If I hit 'stop debugging' VS goes back to the editor window.

I know the software is in beta so it may be a bug or it may be me doing something wrong?

There is a glitch which is resolved by going to the Project Properties Tab and it will probably be on USB but reselect the Netduino item and then try again and this should succeed.

This is most likely cause and is being worked on.

#3 mimtarsden

mimtarsden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the help, Tried selecting off off USB and reselecting 'NetduinoPlus_NetduinoPlus' no joy i'm afraid same issue. Does it matter im using XP?

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:40 AM

Hi mimtarsden, Please PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the latest Netduino Plus beta firwmare for VB--to see if a late-breaking fix helps... Chris

#5 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationLeeds, United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

If I cancel the deploy and unplug the Netduino and then hit 'start debugging' while the device is booting, the code gets downloaded to the netduino without error, however, VB gets hung up. The status reports 'The debugging target is not in an initialised state; rebooting'. It hangs here and gets no further.

Hi and welcome,

I had this issues with VSCS2010, I found that if it sticks at the Debugger not initialised, simply pulling the USB and re-plugging would move things along.

Also, you stated that you could not deploy and had a communication error. Could i ask if the blue LED was constantly on at this point?

If so it may be that previous code has caused the Netduino not to boot correctly. Which would explain why rebooting it whilst trying to deploy works, as the ND does not get chance to run the existing code as new code is downloaded straight away.

I either had to do as you mentioned, or use MFDeploy to wipe the development area on the flash.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stuart.
Intelligent People Aren't Afraid To Ask For Help.

#6 mimtarsden

mimtarsden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

Chris, I tried the revised firmware you sent through and the behavior remained the same. Interestingly while updating the firmware I noticed MFDeploy cannot reboot the netduino either. If I try and erase the application using MFDeploy it attempts to reboot the ND and Mfdeploy hangs on 'Rebooting'. I brought my work Win7 laptop home and tried it on that and everything works fine, so I guess it's actually a WinXP issue. If you want me to try anything else I'm happy to help. @Stuart. Thanks for the reply I tried to deploy in all states Erased, Already deployed and While booting. I could only load the device either after erasing using MFDeploy or while booting (Blue light on solid for 3 seconds or so).

#7 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationLeeds, United Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

I brought my work Win7 laptop home and tried it on that and everything works fine, so I guess it's actually a WinXP issue.

If the problem is so far specific to your windows XP machine, When you plugged the device in for the first time, did you allow XP to install the driver its self or did you manually choose the driver in the SDK folders?

I had problems with the one my WinXP machine found from the internet (MS Update i think). Once i uninstalled and installed the SDK Drivers, i didnt have as many problems (the ones i was left with were silly user error type things which caused the device to need to be wiped :P )
Intelligent People Aren't Afraid To Ask For Help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.