Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Power Netduino (Linksys WRT-54Gl)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

Is it possible to power the Netduino by a Linksys WRT-54GL router? Both devices use 12 volts, but is it enough if they have to share? I'm gona put the Netduino inside the router and hope that there's no need for two cables:)

The Netduino also has to power four fans, a lcd display and a couple of servo's.

What is the proper way to connect the router and Netduino? I saw on internet a way to power the Netduino through the Vin port...

Thanks in advance

Posted Image
Back of DC-Connector

Posted Image
Linskys apdapter

Posted Image
Current situation

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi Sebastiaan, First, welcome to the Netduino community :) It all depends on the needs of both devices. I know most routers don't use the maximum of their adapter. You can know for sure if you measure the amperes used by both devices while connected seperatlely. If it doesn't exceed 1A, it would do fine. The netduino board itself doesn't consume much power, it's what you connect to it that consumes the most power. I see an LCD, those are known for high power consumption. Now for powering it, You could use the adapter socket on the netduino or the Vin pin. Those are virtually the same since they're connected to each other.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

Yep, you should be fine doing this.just make sure polarity is correct on the vin pin.

#4 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

Try it and see. A long a you get the polarity right the worst that will happen is that one or both devices will reboot. I recently tried to power a router and a BAD from the same power supply and got occasional resets sure to lack of power.

#5 Mark H

Mark H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

There shouldn't be a problem, just keep an eye on the temperature of the power adapter. The netduino doesn't consume much power, however if it's already getting pretty warm running the router then you might not want to put more strain on it.

#6 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:02 AM

Try it and see. A long a you get the polarity right the worst that will happen is that one or both devices will reboot.

I recently tried to power a router and a BAD from the same power supply and got occasional resets sure to lack of power.

Not really, if the voltage is too high you risk toasting both devices. A reset from power would not indicate a lack of power, it would indicate something is wrong with the supply or something is doing something bad to the supply, such as shorting it or introducing noise on it.

Power supplies do not have hard limits of how much current they can source. There is no firm line that you go over to cause things to fail. What will happen, is that the more power over the limit of what the supply can source you go, the hotter or more unstable the supply will get until it either burns out or does something else bad.

Hooking something so trivial up as an Netduino up will not cause anything like that adapter to overheat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.