Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

GPS - with Sirf Star III module

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stan4th

stan4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi, I'm new to all this - I got a Sirf Star III module, but it looks to me just to be the chip although its called a module. Is it possible to do anything with this or was it a waste of money? Any help & advice appreciated! Cheers.

#2 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Link or photo of exactly what you got? Without it we can't help you. :)

#3 stan4th

stan4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

Hi, here's photos of front and back - does this help? Cheers. P.S. here in the UK we don't seem to have such a ready supply of the parts for netduino and such like and where they are available it is quite expensive (especially with excahnge rates as they are). This might mean I'll have to check any suggestions for availability and reasonable pricing! Thanks again.

Attached Files

#4 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

P.S. here in the UK we don't seem to have such a ready supply of the parts for netduino and such like

I know the feeling :( If you are looking for components (not breakout boards and the like) try Bitsbox. I've used them several times this year and all orders I've placed before 1pm arrive the next day. They don't have the same range as RS etc. but they are cheaper and shipping is £1.50 no matter what size of order.

Hope this helps,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#5 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

Well, depending on your soldering skills you may be able to do something with that. It's not just a chip, but since you didn't link a datasheet or anything I don't really know what components it has on it. You will need to break out serial, antenna and power at the very least if you do choose to solder it down on to some sort of breakout board.

#6 stan4th

stan4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hi,
there wasn't any info with it - but just thought and got the info attached from ebay;
Hope this is useful.
Cheers

sorry that may not have copied all the details - here is the link

ebay details for sirf star iii

Attached Files

#7 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hi,
there wasn't any info with it - but just thought and got the info attached from ebay;
Hope this is useful.
Cheers

sorry that may not have copied all the details - here is the link

ebay details for sirf star iii

With that data sheet you should have all you need. Your biggest issue may be figuring out how to solder the module. Do you have any test equipment to verify that it is working?

#8 stan4th

stan4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

With that data sheet you should have all you need. Your biggest issue may be figuring out how to solder the module. Do you have any test equipment to verify that it is working?

Hi JonnyBoats,
sorry not at the moment - what would I need to test it?
Firstly, I was wondering whether do I need a shield and also I noticed one GPS shield (AdaFruit) saying you need to plug in the GPS module. So I am wondering whether I need these things as well and which?
Cheers.

#9 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:35 AM

Basically, you need a board that will support this module. That includes.. * Providing the antenna/antenna connection * Providing power (you'll need an actual datasheet for this) * Breaking out serial RX/TX * Any other external functions. You would be much better off buying a complete module off Sparkfun or similar. I have found the LS20030/LS20033 to be good modules, as well as the SkyTraq dev board they sell. Keep in mind, however, that you will need to be very careful not to overvolt the skytraq board. do not hook it up to anything above a 3.3V serial connection, such as the one found on the netduino. :)

#10 Mark H

Mark H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

You'll need a PCB for that module stan4th, however in the eBay listing there isn't a land pattern so you have a fairly low chance of being able to make one easily. Being that GPS is operating in the 1.5GHz band, you're going to need to be extremely specific with the RF traces on the board. These will have to have the correct impedance, you probably also want a SAW filter at the very least in there. SAW filters for GPS units are typically not something that anything but 0201 capable machines can place (due to the very small package and very small pads). I would highly recommend buying a premade board with antenna (or at least an antenna connector) on it as well as all the pins broken out, relevant passive components and such on there. The SkyTraq boards that Chris has mentioned are very good.

#11 stan4th

stan4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

Thanks all for your posts. I'll have to rethink. Looks like I won't be able to avoid the costs (like I said these things are quite costly in the UK). Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.