Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

OK this is not Netduino, but it could be!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

Just ran across this Microsoft blog post http://blogs.msdn.co...et-a-robot.aspx where a grad student built a cute robot to collect coins for charity.

I don't know what microprocessor it uses (Netduino perhaps?), but I share it because I think it is such a novel way to use our hobby for a greater good than just having fun or trying to get rich.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

I love it! Who wants to build one?

#3 elettrozero

elettrozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

I love it! Who wants to build one?

I would do it but in shittaly, instead of putting the dime inside, the result would be the robot to desappear!

#4 afulki

afulki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Very cute..

#5 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

I would do it but in shittaly, instead of putting the dime inside, the result would be the robot to desappear!

In London someone would hotwire it, go joyriding on it, steal the money, set fire to it and dump it in a river.

#6 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

the result would be the robot to desappear!

Wow - Invisibility - is this new to the 4.2 firmware - must upgrade now!

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#7 ItsDan

ItsDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

I would but I live near Boston. The bomb squad would be called and the device "safely exploded" just to be safe.
Follow the adventures of the Box of Crappy Surplus

Total BOCS Traveled Distance: 9708 miles | States Visited: 5
Track the Box

#8 Christoc

Christoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBallwin, MO

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

The guy has a FAQ covering the idea of theft ;) http://timpryde.com/...s-faq-response/ Q: So what is stopping people from stealing it? A: This is the most recurring comment. Usually followed with some derivation of “I would totally steal this” or “this wouldn’t last 5 minutes in <insert home town here>”. There is no inbuilt GPS or other high tech tracking system as some have presumed. There is, however, always someone watching over DON-8r, whether there are one or more robots. This is similar to the way that self service checkouts work, one member of staff monitoring the stations should they need assistance. Someone will always be on standby if DON-8r gets stuck; if someone has a query regarding DON-8r / the affiliated charity; or if someone should attempt to steal it. What I can say to this is that DON-8r is a project designed to highlight the goodness of people. It stemmed from Kacie Kinzer’s Tweenbots project which, through human reliant robots, really emphasised how willing people are to interact with a playful cause – and interact with each other in the process. It’s great seeing how people will curiously approach DON-8r, realise its purpose and then donate to it. This is often followed by a conversation with the stranger next to them about DON-8r. I know I have had quite a few interesting chats with a diverse mix of people as they have spotted me watching over DON-8r during its outings! It would be naive to assume that no-one would consider stealing it but I believe these people are very much in the minority compared to the majority of people who show playful support towards DON-8r and its affiliated charity.

View my blog at ChrisHammond.com

Projects: Netduino Tank/Tracked Vehicle, DNNFoos, Random other bits

#9 Mark H

Mark H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

It seems like a nice idea at first, but I have a feeling it would be considered a hazard/nuisance by most security and police, especially if it's able to go milling about in traffic or where people are walking. I realise they have someone watching over it, but in a busy pedestrian area it could easily fall victim to someone talking on their phone and not looking down, as well as generally being annoying saying "hello" if nobody donates lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.