Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

.NET Micro Framework Distribution Fee

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dixon

Dixon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

I read that .NET Micro Framework requires a distribution agreement and per-device licensing fee, which varies by exptected volume. Do you know roughly how much is this fee? If we use netduino mini boards for a comertial project, is this fee already paid by Secret Labs? or are we supposed to contact Microsoft to arrange for a distribution agreement?

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

I read that .NET Micro Framework requires a distribution agreement and per-device licensing fee, which varies by exptected volume. Do you know roughly how much is this fee?

As of version 4.0 of the .NET Micro Framework (*), there is no limit to the execution time and no distribution agreement (no fee).

(*) Released as Open Source under the Apache 2.0 License on November 16, 2009

#3 Dixon

Dixon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:14 AM

It turns out that the white paper I was reading is from 2007. Thanks for your clarification. Now call me ingenuous, but why Microsoft did it so? What they earn with this, as the tool chain is also free (express ed). Why they freed such a marvelous platform? And why is Secret Labs maintaining it?

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

There are quite a few code contributors in the .NET Micro Framework community. We're glad to be part of that community--and we promote the platform so heavily because we love it--but there are lots of folks that deserve appreciation (not the least of which are the .NET MF team members at Microsoft). I presume that the good will, developer benefit, and market inroads that .NET Micro Framework provides Microsoft are greater than potential licensing revenues. I'm just grateful that Microsoft had the insight to open source .NET MF under an industry-standard open source license...and that Microsoft continues to update the platform. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.