Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Shh... "Getting Started with Netduino" book pre-order

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Cool!, so this is why you have been so busy lately? ;)

Not sure how to answer that one. But you're on the right track. :D

Also this and two other Netduino-ish projects that we hope many of you will really like.

EDIT:
O'Reilly pre-order for "Getting Started with Netduino" book
Amazon.com pre-order for "Getting Started with Netduino" book
Barnes & Noble pre-order for "Getting Started with Netduino" book
Borders pre-order for "Getting Started with Netduino" book

(Amazon.co.uk)
(Amazon.co.jp)

Chris

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

Also this

Is there really a LED without the current limiting resistor? Tsk tsk... Posted Image

#3 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

Not sure how to answer that one. But you're on the right track. :D

Also this and two other Netduino-ish projects that we hope many of you will really like.

Chris

This item cannot be shipped to the address you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping address or remove the item by clicking Delete.

:(
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

:(

How about Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.co.jp?

We'll be making sure that Netduino resellers can get access to carry it as well...

Chris

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Is there really a LED without the current limiting resistor? Tsk tsk... Posted Image

Oh man, you should see some of the terrible things I do to Netduinos. We're building a product right now and prototyping it using a Netduino. I needed exactly 20 IOs and am driving 16 LEDs (muxed, 8 IOs driving a set of 8 array LEDs at a time). There was no room on the proto-shield for resistors, so all 16 are running at full brightness (with a common cathode running through a 2mA analog pin), cycling in animations including all-on. Alongside a SPI connection and two active UARTs.

Yes, it's crazy. Yes, I'm potentially destroying a $35 development board. But at $35, I don't mind if we kill a few. And so far, surprisingly, the units have held up. It becomes impossible to reliably use any of the analog inputs (even in digital input mode), but it works.

Chris

#6 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

Yes, it's crazy. Yes, I'm potentially destroying a $35 development board. But at $35, I don't mind if we kill a few. And so far, surprisingly, the units have held up.

Chris, I did not really mean that as a negative comment - I know that Netduino is able to survive even beyond absolute max ratings, I have just found it funny to see a beginner's mistake, which has been discussed over and over again, on the cover of a book (I think the image is actually similar to one of Arduino). From now on, it is impossible to convince/educate people to use current limiting resistors for LEDs driven by Netduino (LOL)

#7 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Estimated delivery 25 Aug 2011 - 26 Aug 2011 (a few weeks too late for my birthday ;) ) Was £20.65 (~$33.90) including shipping so it must be good Chris. now come on and work on it! :D
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hi CW2,

Chris, I did not really mean that as a negative comment - I know that Netduino is able to survive even beyond absolute max ratings, I have just found it funny to see a beginner's mistake, which has been discussed over and over again, on the cover of a book (I think the image is actually similar to one of Arduino). From now on, it is impossible to convince/educate people to use current limiting resistors for LEDs driven by Netduino (LOL)

I knew what you meant :)

The education market (and Netduino is, for many purposes, an education product) is an interesting thing. Sometimes you do things "the wrong way" to teach people the basics...and then teach them best practices.

With LEDs, users can reasonably use a single low-current LED (or maybe even a few) directly plugged into the Netduino. The microcontroller will limit the amount of current that the LED receives. The resistor requirement for LEDs is half to protect the LEDs (so they don't "blow out") and half to protect the source driving it. In our testing, we've never been able to harm a Netduino's MCU plugging in a single LED--so when O'Reilly wanted to use that image on the cover we didn't object :)

In the book, we're careful to point out that users _should_ use current-limiting resistors, but that it's possible to push things beyond the limits. That's part of the maker's ethos...what can I really do with this thing? But at the same time, $35 is a lot of money to some people--and we want to teach good principles--so we're careful to point out the best practices.

I'll still support you when you remind folks to use current-limiting resistors on LEDs (and I'll continue doing the same) :D

Thanks for the great feedback!

Chris

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

Estimated delivery 25 Aug 2011 - 26 Aug 2011 (a few weeks too late for my birthday ;) )
Was £20.65 (~$33.90) including shipping so it must be good Chris. now come on and work on it! :D

:) Be aware that Amazon.com quotes very aggressive ship dates on many books. It's not uncommon to see books ship a month or two after the Amazon.com estimate. That said, I'm amazed at how fast O'Reilly prints books. I'm really looking forward to getting my copy this fall.

[And I'm looking forward to getting my copy of Getting Started with the Internet of Things next month. Cuno has done a really thorough job at teaching the concepts of sensors and actuators via HTTP and Pachube.]

Chris

#10 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Estimated delivery 25 Aug 2011 - 26 Aug 2011 (a few weeks too late for my birthday ;) )
Was £20.65 (~$33.90) including shipping so it must be good Chris. now come on and work on it! :D

Is there a Kindle version ?

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

Not sure. After the book goes to print, O'Reilly and Amazon may publish it in Kindle format.

The best thing to do is probably to click the "want this on Kindle?" link so they know :)

Chris

#12 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

I see the topic has been changed: "Shh... "Getting Started with Netduino" book pre-order"

OKay, Chris, that's all about you. Any chance on getting a signature in my version some day? :P

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

I see the topic has been changed: "Shh... "Getting Started with Netduino" book pre-order"

OKay, Chris, that's all about you. Any chance on getting a signature in my version some day? :P

lol.

[sheepish look] I'm sure we can take care of that. Perhaps we could get signed copies at Amazon.com and other resellers.

But yeah, we've been talking to O'Reilly about making this book for about 6 months. And I've been locked away nights writing for the last month or so (and for the next month or two). I wasn't going to say anything until it popped up online...but since the cover is done and it's up for pre-order at Amazon I suppose that the proverbial cat has escaped its bag :)

BTW, much appreciation to the folks at MAKE and to my editor at O'Reilly (Brian Jepson) for their faith in both Netduino and me...and in all their hard work, patience, and enthusiasm. I know, these things are usually written in the book preface...but worth saying twice.

Chris

#14 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

But yeah, we've been talking to O'Reilly about making this book for about 6 months. And I've been locked away nights writing for the last month or so (and for the next month or two). I wasn't going to say anything until it popped up online...but since the cover is done and it's up for pre-order at Amazon I suppose that the proverbial cat has escaped its bag :)

neat! I already purchased it, but if you need feedback, you may send me chapters. you know my email address. :)
And if you're ever in the Netherlands, Germany, or Belguim I'll come by for a signature :P

#15 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

And if you're ever in the Netherlands, Germany, or Belguim I'll come by for a signature

How about Netduino booth at Embedded World in Nürnberg next year? Chris, Stefan - what do you say?

#16 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

Placed http://www.embedded-world.de/en/ in my agenda for the 28th of february till the 1st of Mars 2012.

#17 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

Regards,
Mark

My frustration with the Kindle edition of books is the price. Take the EE 101 book; new dead tree, $28.72, kindle $25.85. I bought it from the Amazon marketplace for $12. Its now down to $8. Why would I spend $17 more for the electronic edition?

I realize that publishers largely set the price, but still very frustrating! I say all this as a Kindle owner too...
</rant>

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

How about Netduino booth at Embedded World in Nürnberg next year? Chris, Stefan - what do you say?

Oh man, I'd love to go. I almost made it this year--but with travel it would have taken a full week (5 days) to visit. :( We sent a few dozen Netduinos to the show to help draw people to the .NET MF partners booth, but missing it made me very sad.

If I start planning now, maybe I can make it next year. It would be great to meet some of our European community members!

Chris

#19 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

My frustration with the Kindle edition of books is the price. Take the EE 101 book; new dead tree, $28.72, kindle $25.85. I bought it from the Amazon marketplace for $12. Its now down to $8. Why would I spend $17 more for the electronic edition?

I know what you mean - we have to pay tax on Kindle books but not on a printed book. This means a Kindle book is sometimes a little more expensive than a printed book. Problem is we have over 1000 books in the house and there is only so much space to put book cases. And for the record, I much prefer a printed book.

Cheers,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#20 MattyZee

MattyZee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

Nice :-) Looking forward to it. Will it include examples for the Netduino Plus? (seeing as thats what is pictured on the front cover) Is there a contents page preview we can see?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.