Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

+5V instead of +3.3V

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Sure Stefan don't believe me if not check the tech spec page. analog input is from 0 to 3.3 V at a max of 2mA per pin.

I believe you, thats why I'm not going to solder anything yet ;)
If I didn't believe you I already tried it all out and perhaps would be virtually crying now because of broken analog inputs :P

Already thought about modifying the board by disconnecting the +5V pin from the PCB and connect it to the +3V. Only downside would be that the led resistors will be a bit too high, although it will be hardly noticed I suppose. But it would be amazing if it worked without modifications, that's why I am asking.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#22 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Terry is right: the overvoltage is allowed only for the logic inputs, but not for the analogs. However you may scale the voltage using two resistor per analog channel. The ratio is: 3.3/5=0.66. Then fix the overall resistance as load for the Danger output, let's say 50K. At this point you will have: 0.66 = R1 / (R1+R2) = R1 / 50K So, R1 = 33K and R2=50K-33K=17K. Where R2 is a resistor connected from the Danger output to the N input, and R1 is connected from the same N input to ground. Ciao
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#23 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

Sure Stefan don't believe me if not check the tech spec page. analog input is from 0 to 3.3 V at a max of 2mA per pin.

From the datasheet: Absolute Maximum Ratings
Voltage on Input Pins with Respect to Ground...........................-0.3V to + 5.5V

#24 Terry Massey

Terry Massey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

From the datasheet: Absolute Maximum Ratings
Voltage on Input Pins with Respect to Ground...........................-0.3V to + 5.5V

CW2: If you look at page 37 of the summary datasheet is says 8 independent 3.3 v Analog inputs.
Thanks,
Terry Massey

#25 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

CW2: If you look at page 37 of the summary datasheet is says 8 independent 3.3 v Analog inputs.

You are right, but could not this mean that the input range is 0 - 3.3V (0 - ADVREF, to be precise) and still 5V tolerant? I think I'll let Stefan to figure this out - he is the one with the fire extinguisher Posted Image

#26 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

You are right,

Glad to see that the wise elders all agree ;)

but could not this mean that the input range is 0 - 3.3V (0 - ADVREF, to be precise) and still 5V tolerant? I think I'll let Stefan to figure this out - he is the one with the fire extinguisher

Best things of fire extinguishers is to test them after they're expired. I prefer not to use them before that time :D

Now a proper solution. I'm going to breadboard it, to work on a fully 3.3V, so no 5V on the board. I think that would be the most easy solution.
The only downside I can think about would be that the leds are less bright (although it won't be much of a different I suppose) and the buzzer is less annoying. Oh that's no downside ;)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#27 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

CW2, the specs is clear about: "max" means max... Anyway, I think I have had a chance to feed an analog input over VRef...the ADC is still reading correctly (as far as "correctly" could be an acceptable term). Ciao
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#28 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Without taking any risks, I'm going to disconnect the +5V pin from the board and connect +3.3V to it instead. When I look at the schematic, it only contains a few resistors, leds, two buzzers, two sensors, a 74hc595, a few buttons and three potmeters. For the leds there are 330Ω resistors onboard, for the buttons 10kΩ resistors, and for the knock sensor/buzzer a 1MΩ resistor. I could replace the 330Ω for 220Ω with 3.3V but I don't see why I should. The others, well, their value doesn't matter that much I suppose. All those components can operate at 3.3V as far as my knowledge goes. Leds will be a bit less bright and the buzzer volume will be a bit lower. I think that will be all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.