Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino to windows phone 7 ? Can it work ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hi Guys (and Girls wherever you are lol),

I just saw this cool project: an adroid phone talking to a netduino through bluetooth.

It made me wonder : is this feasable on the windows phone 7 and the netduino ?

I have both so I could try ... but I read that windows phone 7 has no bluetooth API support ... can someone confirm this ? Any other means of communication (other than IP) with Windows phone 7 ?

Mike wondering !
Started with C in 1985, moved to Vb3 ... to vb6 and stopped. Now started with .Net and learning C# and VB.net and wishing VB.net was on MF !

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hi Michel, For the current generation of Windows Phone, we recommend using the Netduino Plus (or Netduino + Ethernet shield) and the WiFi feature of Windows Phone 7. Chris

#3 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

If I understand, It cannot be done because there is no API for it and we have to use the internet to do it ?

So the phone will speak to a router that will speak to the netduino ... is that it ? Cause I wanted to talk to the netduino directly through the wifi/bluetooth mechanism ... but no API for it on the windows phone side ... pity.

I also read about it on the msdn forums that we don't need such a function ... it sounds like an engineer that knows exactly what we need without even talking to us ... he was a real sob about the fact that we don't need such a functionnality ... he should loose his job on the spot. His name is Jim Perry. Read thisthen weep ... look for a "Really"

Mike happy not to work for a jackass like Jim Perry :)
Started with C in 1985, moved to Vb3 ... to vb6 and stopped. Now started with .Net and learning C# and VB.net and wishing VB.net was on MF !

#4 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

I used to do a bit of Windows Mobile dev, but switched to Android over Windows Phone because WP7 is so locked down. It's almost as bad as the iPhone.

#5 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

I bought the netduino and the windows phone 7 to try to do as the iPhone and the Parrot quadcopter were doing but all with Microsoft technology ... discovering that Microsoft is not as helpful as it used to be 20 years ago ... I agree with you that it is very closed system now ... and I question my buying of a windows phone 7 ... pity, since I was a Microsoft fan for so many years ... discovering that they lack documentation with samples ... many years ago, that was their strength, they had sample code for everything ... so you could learn using the documentation. Now this is not true ... pity ! And I do a lot of things in XML ... where is it on the MF platform ? Is it absent from the phone too ? I'll have to buy a Ethernet shield for my normal netduino and get a netduino plus to have fun :) Damn, I wanted to have an API for Wifi or Bluetooth on the phone ... pity

#6 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

Damn, I wanted to have an API for Wifi or Bluetooth on the phone ... pity

Whilst the Bluetooth is not there the WiFi is but not as an API. MS are pushing "if you are a Silverlight developer you are already a Windows Phone developer" You just need to talk to the N+ using a web server. There are several examples of these projects in the Project Showcase.

If you can control the N+ from a PC then there is no reason not to be able to do this from a Windows Phone 7.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#7 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

Whilst the Bluetooth is not there the WiFi is but not as an API.

Do I understand correctly, the phone through Silverlight, can talk wifi to a wifi webserver (on the netduino equiped with a wifi shield and driver) ?

#8 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

Do I understand correctly, the phone through Silverlight, can talk wifi to a wifi webserver (on the netduino equiped with a wifi shield and driver) ?

If there is a routeer in the equation then I'd say yes as it is no different from doing this over a cabled network and I have done this. You might have to open a prot up to the internet but once that's done I can't see any technical reason why not.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#9 Greg Zimmers

Greg Zimmers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBroomfield CO

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

I have built WP7 client app to monitor and control my garage door. I also built an Android client and I am documenting the whole process under project showcase section. The only difference is the introduction of a WiFi shield. I have not tried to use a WiFi shield with a Netduino so I am not sure how much work it will take to get it to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.