Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

SimpleNGen 1.1

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:18 AM

Hello,

I have a new, more user-friendly version of SimpleNGen which pulls opcodes directly out of your assembly. This means that the system is actually kind of pleasant to use. Once you have your project set up properly, you just need to build it (typically twice) and then deploy to the Netduino.

Big thanks to Dan Morphis for the recommendation to use Cecil. It works great!

If anyone wants to try it, I'd be very interested in your feedback. I should warn you that this is still alpha software, so lots of things don't work, and even the things that do work are pretty hacky.

Here is what you need to do:
  • Flash the firmware found here (hello, Chris, can I get more quota???!!!)
  • Load SimpleNGen.sln into your IDE and build it ALERT: use the updated SimpleNGen on the second post to this topic
  • Decide where you want to keep the SimpleNGen executables. You can either leave them just where they are (wherever you built them), or you can copy the two executable files (SimpleNGen.exe and Mono.Cecil.dll) and put them somewhere convenient. Personally I just leave them where they are
  • Load the NgenSandbox solution
  • Right-click NgenSandbox, select Properties, go to Build Events
  • The first part of the line invokes SimpleNGen.exe. Fix this path so it points to where SimpleNGen.exe lives on your computer
  • Notice there are two invocations of SimpleNGen.exe. This is because this sandbox is set up to compile both BitBanger and SetLed
  • The compiler takes four arguments (-input, -class, -output, and -log) but in this project they have been configured to be project-relative and shouldn't need to change
  • Set a breakpoint on line 10 of Program.cs
  • Deploy to your netduino and watch the onboard LED turn on and off as you single-step the program

For reference, here is the code to SetLed.cs. What could be better?

namespace NgenSandbox {
  public static class SetLed {
    public unsafe static int Doit(int pin, int value) {
      var bankOffset=(pin&0x20)<<4;
      var bitmask=1<<(pin&0x1f);
      var pio=(int*)(Pio.BankBase+bankOffset);

pio[Pio.PER]=bitmask; //enable pin
      pio[Pio.OER]=bitmask; //enable output

if(value!=0) {
        pio[Pio.SODR]=bitmask; //set data
      } else {
        pio[Pio.CODR]=bitmask; //set data
      }
      return 0;
    }
  }
}

Attached Files

Edited by Corey Kosak, 11 April 2011 - 02:02 AM.

#2 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:54 AM

Fixed a bug in SimpleNGen

Attached Files

#3 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

Corey, I am sorry, but I was able to read this post just now. I wanted to read carefully.

Firstly, my congrats: it looks awesome!

Secondly, I have some questions about...
  • the firmware is still the 4.1.0.6-based?
  • I also suppose that it is for Netduino standard, not the Plus-one?
  • Correct me if I wrong, but in the past you were supposing to let the user have only some basic type: Cecil have changed this limitation dramatically?
  • How about handling timer events where I need no delay on invocation?

I am really curious to test this NGen with signal proc and math libs.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#4 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

the firmware is still the 4.1.0.6-based? I also suppose that it is for Netduino standard, not the Plus-one?

4.1.1.0 beta 1, as I understand it. Chris Walker graciously built a special version of the firmware for Felix and me. I don't know if he built a Plus version. By the way, my firmware change is very small; it is straightforward to add to the firmware if one has the proper source code and compiler.

Correct me if I wrong, but in the past you were supposing to let the user have only some basic type: Cecil have changed this limitation dramatically?

Same limitations as before. Cecil does not help here. Cecil's job is to help me parse the assembly and find the IL instructions inside it; it doesn't do anything to help me analyze those instructions.

I hope people have a good intuition for what this code does (and doesn't do). If not, maybe I have to do a better job of communicating its limitations. There is a simple subset of operations that have straightforward support in the CPU's instruction set: add, subtract and multiply; and, or, and shift; compare and branch; load and store, array access. Additionally there is a simple set of data types that is relatively easy to represent: signed and unsigned ints, shorts, and bytes.

This project aims only to support the above subset. The micro framework is far more complicated than this, and I don't have the desire or the ability to support more of its features. Just to name a few, I don't want to write a garbage collector, or do virtual dispatch, deal with objects that have dynamic types, or even deal with objects that are larger than one register in size.

How about handling timer events where I need no delay on invocation?

In an earlier post I had asked the community if someone could show me sample firmware code for setting a hardware timer and/or posting events back to C#. I don't think anyone was able to respond. In the absence of that I'll have to figure it out for myself (might take longer). I do know how to use the HAL_COMPLETION scheduler thing.

The Fluent project was able to support the compilation of multiple methods, and also able to schedule HAL_COMPLETION-style callbacks. Although this projeect doesn't do that yet, it should be straightforward to implement. But if someone could show me how to set up hardware timers and/or post back to C# events that will help a lot.

#5 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

In an earlier post I had asked the community if someone could show me sample firmware code for setting a hardware timer and/or posting events back to C#. I don't think anyone was able to respond.

This seems to me as a paradox: a full open-source project where none is able to put the hands!

No: either some problem MUST be solved, or this MF will be time-limited (IMHO).
Cheers

#6 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

In an earlier post I had asked the community if someone could show me sample firmware code for setting a hardware timer and/or posting events back to C#.

Please have a look at AT91_TIME_Driver::Initialize() in DeviceCode\Targets\Native\AT91\DeviceCode\AT91_TIME\AT91_TIME.cpp - there is a call to AT91_TIMER_Driver::Initialize() (note the extra 'R') to setup 'slow clock' timer that uses hardware timer TC0 and its ISR calls back HAL completion.

#7 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Please have a look at ...

Thanks CW2, I'll check it out!! :P

#8 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:28 AM

Question...
By following the super-useful tip of CW2 (thanks!), I have found that every slow-clock event the function is called. I think without any delay also.
(Look in: .\DeviceCode\pal\AsyncProcCall\Completions.cpp)

void HAL_COMPLETION::Execute()
{
    NATIVE_PROFILE_PAL_ASYNC_PROC_CALL();
    ASSERT_IRQ_MUST_BE_OFF();

#if defined(_DEBUG)
    this->Start_RTC_Ticks = 0;
#endif

if(this->ExecuteInISR)
    {
        HAL_CONTINUATION* cont = this;

cont->Execute();
    }
    else
    {
        this->Enqueue();
    }
}

The question is: may I add here a call to a custom service routine?
My aim is to write a kind of register accepting subscriptions for hi-precision timer callbacks.
So, suppose I have my own routine which has to be called *without delay* every slow-clock cycle. The owner class will subscribe the routine as callback to this "register", then the Execute() above will invoke the notification to all the subscribers.

NOTE: all that using NATIVE code! That is synchronous, but very fast service.

Thanks

#9 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

There are three hardware Timer Counter (TC) modules, so you can easily duplicate the code and setup TC1 and/or TC2 by just using the appropriate index (0 = TC0, 1 = TC1 etc.). I have also found a reference to TC1, which seems to be used as a sampling timer during profiling, but probably not on SAM7 platforms (search for c_PerformanceCounter_Timer); and it is conditionally compiled (#define FIQ_SAMPLING_PROFILER). Note: It may be possible to use Real-time Timer (RTT) or Periodic Interval Timer (PIT) for CLR scheduling and time functions instead of TC0, and leave TC0 free for other usage (waveform generation, capture mode). I guess .NET MF team used it as lowest common denominator, as the other timers (RTT, PIT) may not be present on the other microcontroller variants.

#10 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

BTW, I haven't worked on this in a couple of weeks, but I might work on it this weekend. I have a couple of questions:
  • If I work on the interrupt-driven/sampling stuff, it would be nice if I had some hardware device to sample. Can anyone suggest some simple/sane thing I could buy and hook up that would be suitable for testing my code? Some signal that I could sample that would make it obvious that my code was working consistently and with low latency, like, I dunno, a sine-wave generator or something.
  • What do you guys use for browsing around the firmware C++ source? I've been using emacs and a windows grep tool, and it's getting tiresome
  • Is there some (Atmel?) documentation for what the various I/O registers are and where they are mapped to in memory?

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi Corey,

• If I work on the interrupt-driven/sampling stuff, it would be nice if I had some hardware device to sample. Can anyone suggest some simple/sane thing I could buy and hook up that would be suitable for testing my code? Some signal that I could sample that would make it obvious that my code was working consistently and with low latency, like, I dunno, a sine-wave generator or something.

That would be awesome.

I would hook up a second Netduino, and raise/lower a GPIO every ## ms. That way you can control the speed--or even stop/start it using the pushbutton.

• What do you guys use for browsing around the firmware C++ source? I've been using emacs and a windows grep tool, and it's getting tiresome

I personally use Visual Studio and Windows Explorer (or ARM Workbench/RealView Debugger on machines where we have that installed). Then I use "Agent Ransack" for searching within the overall source--it's fast and works well.

• Is there some (Atmel?) documentation for what the various I/O registers are and where they are mapped to in memory?

Best bets:
  • SAM7X microcontroller datasheet (from downloads page) (for specifics)
  • C:\MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1\DeviceCode\Targets\Native\AT91\DeviceCode\at91.h (for register structure)
  • C:\MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1\DeviceCode\Targets\Native\AT91\DeviceCode\AT91_SAM\AT91_SAM7X.h (for peripheral base addresses)
  • AT91SAM7X sample code from Atmel

Chris

#12 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

Thanks Chris, that's really helpful. I think your idea of hooking up two Netduinos is great.

Really stupid question: I'm worried about shorting them out or something. Is it correct to:
  • tie their grounds together
  • power them from the same USB hub (or from two USB ports on the same computer)

#13 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Sine wave - if you are not afraid, use a wall wart (AC/DC adapter) secondary winding or bridge rectifier output, voltage low enough (3 V) can be connected directly, although some kind of load is recommended (especially in case of cheap unregulated adapter). Or perhaps amplified speaker output, you can easily play various waveforms on the computer. For digital signal I would sample Netduino's PWM output (wired to another pin).

I use Visual Studio 2010 too, "Find In Files" is fast and supports wildcards and regular expressions. In case of more complex projects (i.e. if it is worth it), I create a dummy Visual C++ project and add needed .NET MF source and header files to it, so IntelliSense can resolve symbol definitions.

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Chris, that's really helpful. I think your idea of hooking up two Netduinos is great.

Really stupid question: I'm worried about shorting them out or something. Is it correct to:

• tie their grounds together
  • power them from the same USB hub (or from two USB ports on the same computer)

Just tie the grounds of two Netduinos together. No issues there ( unless you're doing something crazy with the other Netduino ;) ).

Chris

#15 Klop

Klop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hi Corey, Super cool what you have created here. Very very useful. I get a compile error when trying to use '==' and '='. So comparing with '==' and assignments with '='. The exception I get is this: "Unexpected opCode pop at offset 16". I think it happens in your optimize stage - but not sure. Have you seen this error or experienced this problem? Maybe I'm using it totally wrong.

#16 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

The project has been idle for a while, but now that I have a user I'm getting excited about it!

I didn't implement all the MSIL opcodes--just basically exactly the ones that I needed to get my sample code working.

But I'm happy to implement more of them. I'd like to propose the following:

• Tonight I'll add support for POP
  • If you want to send me your code, I will run it and make sure there are no other missing opcodes (and even see if I can get it to work)
  • If you'd rather keep your code private for whatever reason, then we'll have to iterate back and forth a little as I add missing opcodes
Sound good? Feel free to send me the code using the crappy messaging interface in this forum :-)

#17 Klop

Klop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi Corey, That sounds awesome - thank you very much. Have you thought about implementing the option to have more than one method in the class? I have just now PM'ed you my code I'm trying to run.

#18 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:29 AM

Hey-- I just looked at your code. I'm not getting the same 'pop' error you are getting, and I'm not sure why.... did you send me exactly the code you were using? In any case, I am getting a couple of other errors that touch on areas I didn't implement (namely, unsigned types, and types smaller than int). I took a bunch of shortcuts there, just to get things working. I was hoping to do a quick hack tonight but I'm getting pretty tired. I think I'd like to take another look this weekend if that's OK with you. It would be quite exciting if I could get this prototype to produce correct code for the routine you wrote. By the way, I'm a little worried about whether this is going to be effective. I'm pretty confident that I can (eventually) produce code for the routine you sent me, but I'm very worried that the interop overhead (going from managed to native) is going to dwarf any savings you get by doing these several math operations in native code. Now on the other hand, if you had a whole array of CrossScale[] Value1[] and Value2[]s to work on (so that you only made one managed-to-native transition but then worked on a whole array of parameters), I'm pretty confident that there would be substantial performance improvement. Regarding more than one method in the class, yeah, I was thinking about that. It helps a lot that you're interested in this project--after doing the initial prototype I kind of moved on to other things because, although people seem to like this idea in principle, I wasn't sure anyone was actually going to use my particular prototype in practice.

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

The project has been idle for a while, but now that I have a user I'm getting excited about it!

I'd love to see tons of people using this, and see it become an even stronger resource for .NET MF programmers.

Let's all download Corey's SimpleNGEN-enhanced firmware and push the limits :)

Chris

#20 Justinius

Justinius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:45 AM

I'm interested in SimpleNGen in principle, but don't have a current need. On top of that I'm still a little lost on the principles behind SimpleNGen being new to the Netduino and Embedded .NET. Maybe if some of the information relating to its operation and coding examples could be put on the Wiki for more people to study.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.