Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Internet access without a router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Traveling Tech Guy

Traveling Tech Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

Hi, Probably a noob question, but would appreciate some help. I have extensive software background, but close to no HW whatsoever (well, I was in charge of a CNC machine once, but I was mostly feeding it metal chips :)). Anyway, just received my N+, ran the mandatory tutorials (blinkey + pushy) and wrote a little Morse Code app. Great. Now it's time for the "plus" part, namely connecting the Netduino to the internet. My router is in the other room, tucked under the TV. All devices in the house use wifi to connect. I read a bit and found that adding wifi capabilities to my board would set me back $60-70 and would require me to start messing around with electronics and shields (like wifly or XBee) which I'm not ready for yet [please correct me if I'm wrong or missing something]. My question is: Would it be possible to connect the board to the laptop I'm using to program it, and somehow get access to the internet + valid IP address? If so, what are the configuration steps? Or do I need to get one of those wifi bridges/hotspots that bridge Ethernet to wifi (like the ASUS WL530g, to name a cheap one)? I see all those great web server and twitter projects and I want to join the party. Just need help getting an IP. Any assistance will be appreciated! Regards, Guy http://blog.TravelingTechGuy.com

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Would it be possible to connect the board to the laptop I'm using to program it, and somehow get access to the internet + valid IP address? If so, what are the configuration steps? Or do I need to get one of those wifi bridges/hotspots that bridge Ethernet to wifi (like the ASUS WL530g, to name a cheap one)?

Assuming you're talking Windows, I'd be thinking cross over cable to connect the N+ to the PC and set up the PC to allow internet connection sharing.

Broadly speaking the steps are:

Use MFDeploy to check the network configuration on the N+. I'd probably start with static IP first as some people have had problems with DHCP. That way if you hit problems you won't be troubleshooting DHCP issues.

Configure the network port (not the WiFi port) on the laptop to use a similar IP address and the same subnet mask. The N+ and the PC should now be able to talk over the cross over cable.

Configure the PC to allow internet connection sharing - the method for doing tis varies depending upon the OS you are using. Google should be your friend there.

Hope this helps,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 foxxjnm

foxxjnm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

If you go the ICS route you may need a crossover cable, and if you use MFDeploy to set a static IP use something like this: IP: 192.168.0.2 (Windows maked your wired NIC 192.168.0.1 when using ICS) Net Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway and DNS: 192.168.0.1 Hope this helps!

#4 Traveling Tech Guy

Traveling Tech Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:03 PM

Thanks guys! Using a combination of your suggestions, I managed to connect an Ethernet cable between my N+ and my laptop, turn on ICS, configure gateway/DNS, turn on ICS and get a valid IP! Now I'm off to find some code samples that will show me how to get a URL from the Netduino... Thanks again, Guy

#5 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

The ASUS router is good. I am using a Fonera router. Both can run off 5V. I have an Energizer XP8000 battery pack powering the netduino and fonera. Everything is Velcroed together.

#6 Traveling Tech Guy

Traveling Tech Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

The ASUS router is good. I am using a Fonera router. Both can run off 5V. I have an Energizer XP8000 battery pack powering the netduino and fonera. Everything is Velcroed together.

May I ask where did you get the Fonera? Been looking all over for them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.