Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Assembly version numbers please?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

I'm in the process of troubleshooting SD card issues between Alpha 7 and Beta 1 and the lack of accurate version numbers on assemblies is making things more difficult than it should be: For instance, in MFDeploy, a 'Show Device Info' shows the following: ... SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware,4.1.0.0 SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics,4.1.0.0 SecretLabs.NETMF.IO,4.1.0.0 SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino,4.1.0.0 ... There's no way to tell what has been deployed to the device just by looking at assembly versions on the device :( Moving forward, could you please update the version numbers of the assemblies produced by SecretLabs? Thanks, -Fabien.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:15 AM

Hi Fabien, We generally do not update managed code assemblies on the device...only the native code running behind them in the firmware. We would like to update the assembly version #'s as well (in some cases even if there have been no changes to the managed code side) but there are certain issues with .NET Micro Framework where the SDK inside Visual Studio will give users seemingly random error messages. So we've erred on the side of caution here to increase usability. I believe that the .NET Micro Framework QFE1 also followed the same strategy--keeping assembly versions the same while fixing bugs in the .NET MF 4.1 SDK and firmware. I believe that the only change we have made to the managed code assemblies so far was in a beta...a bugfix for SecretLabs.NETMF.IO. Otherwise your assemblies should be identical going back to introduction. Chris

#3 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hey Chris, Thanks for the quick response. I disagree with Microsoft's management of version numbers in assemblies, in fact many of us at Microsoft feel that way :) This versioning strategy is just not helpful to developers. Anything you could do to help would be awesome :) Cheers, -Fabien.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.