Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

USB Device not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

i just got my Netduino in the mail and popped it in (i had previously installed all the software in the order specified on the site), but i can't get the OS to recognize it. it says usb device not recognized. i'm running win7x86 in vwmare on a mac. i installed the 32bit software and driver. any troubleshooting tips?

#2 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

i just got my Netduino in the mail and popped it in (i had previously installed all the software in the order specified on the site), but i can't get the OS to recognize it. it says usb device not recognized. i'm running win7x86 in vwmare on a mac. i installed the 32bit software and driver.

any troubleshooting tips?

I just went through this - see the specs page - USB isn't supported for netduino in VMWare, you have to deploy via serial. It works under Parallels although I'm having some other issues there that Chris is helping me with.

#3 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

oh man, that blows. especially since all my arduino/illuminato/etc., stuff works through VMWare. how do i do the serial thing?

#4 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

is the serial deployment stuff documented anywhere?

#5 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

ok, i found some info in the firmware download page. looks like i have to deploy the serial firmware. question though, how do i use MFDeploy, if the device isn't recognized?

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

ok, i found some info in the firmware download page. looks like i have to deploy the serial firmware. question though, how do i use MFDeploy, if the device isn't recognized?

To flash the "serial deploy/debug" firmware:
1. Erase your Netduino (connect 3.3V to gold ERASE pad under D0 for 220ms+)
2. Use SAM-BA to deploy the serial "TinyBooterDecompressor.bin" file that's in the serial firmware zip file. You'll deploy this over the D0/D1 UART on the Netduino using a TTL-to-UART cable or RS232 shield. SAM-BA can flash an erased Netduino either via USB or UART.
3. Now unplug and reconnect your Netduino. Then use MFDeploy to flash the Netduino "serial" firmware onto the Netduino

Then in Visual Studio...select Serial transport (and your COM port) instead of USB transport. That's it!

Does this get you started?

[Regarding VMWare Fusion...we're looking to see if we can make some modifications on the computer side, device side, or in VMWare Fusion itself to support USB deployment. VMWare Fusion doesn't support quite a few popular USB devices that we tried, but it would still be nice if we could figure out a way to support it there as well.]

Chris

#7 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:51 AM

oh man, that blows. especially since all my arduino/illuminato/etc., stuff works through VMWare. how do i do the serial thing?

Yeah I mainly use VMWare as well but Parallels has a competitive upgrade for $35 which I used so I could fire up a VM under that. VMWare "feels" faster though even though from benchmarks I know they are about the same. :(

-G

#8 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

2. Use SAM-BA to deploy the serial "TinyBooterDecompressor.bin" file that's in the serial firmware zip file. You'll deploy this over the D0/D1 UART on the Netduino using a TTL-to-UART cable or RS232 shield. SAM-BA can flash an erased Netduino either via USB or UART.
3. Now unplug and reconnect your Netduino. Then use MFDeploy to flash the Netduino "serial" firmware onto the Netduino

Then in Visual Studio...select Serial transport (and your COM port) instead of USB transport. That's it!

[Regarding VMWare Fusion...we're looking to see if we can make some modifications on the computer side, device side, or in VMWare Fusion itself to support USB deployment. VMWare Fusion doesn't support quite a few popular USB devices that we tried, but it would still be nice if we could figure out a way to support it there as well.]

Chris

thanks! i'm heading down that road right now. it would be rad if you could get the vmware support ironed out. it's so much better than parallels. :S

#9 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:18 AM

Chris

confused on step 2. i erased my netduino, via step 1, and you say "SAM-BA can flash an erased Netduino either via USB or UART" - but you also say i need a TTL-UART cable. i'm confused.

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

confused on step 2. i erased my netduino, via step 1, and you say "SAM-BA can flash an erased Netduino either via USB or UART" - but you also say i need a TTL-UART cable. i'm confused.

Sorry for the confusion. You can flash any "bootloader" via USB or via UART. I was mentioning this so that you knew you could flash the bootloader over the same UART that you'd use with MFDeploy to flash the .NET MF runtime.

VMWare Fusion may or may not recognize the device in its erased "SAM-BA programming" mode. Try unplugging and reattaching your Netduino after you erase it and see if VMWare Fusion can see it as a virtual serial device. If it can, that's a good sign...that means we will probably be able to get VMWare Fusion to recognize the Netduino as a deployable USB device in time as well.

Either way, complete both steps (flashing TinyBooter and also using MFDeploy to flash the firmware) via the D0/D1 UART (either via a UART-to-TTL cable or an RS232 shield).

We can put together step-by-step instructions for "how to reflash the serial firmware in VMWare Fusion" early next week if that would be helpful as well.

Chris

#11 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:45 AM

Sorry for the confusion. You can flash any "bootloader" via USB or via UART. I was mentioning this so that you knew you could flash the bootloader over the same UART that you'd use with MFDeploy to flash the .NET MF runtime.

VMWare Fusion may or may not recognize the device in its erased "SAM-BA programming" mode. Try unplugging and reattaching your Netduino after you erase it and see if VMWare Fusion can see it as a virtual serial device. If it can, that's a good sign...that means we will probably be able to get VMWare Fusion to recognize the Netduino as a deployable USB device in time as well.

Either way, complete both steps (flashing TinyBooter and also using MFDeploy to flash the firmware) via the D0/D1 UART (either via a UART-to-TTL cable or an RS232 shield).

We can put together step-by-step instructions for "how to reflash the serial firmware in VMWare Fusion" early next week if that would be helpful as well.

Chris

well, it recognized it after i restarted the vm and reconnected the device. it automatically added the driver as the 'AT91 USB to Serial Converter' - i didn't have to manually browse to the SAM-BA directory and install the driver that way.

i'm still a little confused though, if it's now serial over USB, why would i need a special cable to do the MFDeploy stuff? can't i just use the USB?

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

well, it recognized it after i restarted the vm and reconnected the device. it automatically added the driver as the 'AT91 USB to Serial Converter' - i didn't have to manually browse to the SAM-BA directory and install the driver that way.

That's great news. That gives us a pretty good chance of tweaking the .NET MF firmware to work with VMWare Fusion in the future.

i'm still a little confused though, if it's now serial over USB, why would i need a special cable to do the MFDeploy stuff? can't i just use the USB?

Very good question.

Only the "SAM-BA flashing mode" uses serial over USB. The .NET MF uses a custom USB transport which gives it a fast deployment/debug capability. The issue with VMWare Fusion is somewhere between the VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine, the .NET MF drivers, and the .NET MF firmware. We officially support VMWare Fusion for "serial deployment" for now, but we're hoping to make the whole chain of software happy so that we can use Netduino using USB transport under VMWare in the future.

Chris

#13 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

also, to flash the tinybootloader, i chose the "Flash" tab and put it in as the "send file", and clicked send file, it gave me this: (SAM-BA v2.10) 1 % send_file {Flash} "C:/[download]/netduino/TinyBooterDecompressor_v4.1.0.2/TinyBooterDecompressor.bin" 0x100000 0 -E- Script error: invalid command name "download"

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:02 AM

also, to flash the tinybootloader, i chose the "Flash" tab and put it in as the "send file", and clicked send file, it gave me this:

(SAM-BA v2.10) 1 % send_file {Flash} "C:/[download]/netduino/TinyBooterDecompressor_v4.1.0.2/TinyBooterDecompressor.bin" 0x100000 0
-E- Script error: invalid command name "download"

bryancostanich,

Don't change the tab. Re-erase your Netduino. Unplug and re-attach it. And then take a look at this thread:
http://forums.netdui...indpost__p__347

You should (from that thread):
a. Open up SAM-BA (tell it to use AT91SAM7X512-EK as its board)
b. Don't change tabs. Execute the "boot from flash" and then the "enable flash" scripts.
c. Flash the TinyBooterDecompressor.bin file to your Netduino. Say "no" to locking sectors.
d. Verify the firmware (adding two zeros into the 0x1000... count first)
e. Unplug and replug your Netduino--and then use MFDeploy to flash the Netduino serial firmware onto your device.

I'm going to be hopping on a plane soon, but I'll try to check the forums to help you get up and running if you'd like.

Chris

#15 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:11 AM

bryancostanich,

Don't change the tab. Re-erase your Netduino. Unplug and re-attach it. And then take a look at this thread:
http://forums.netdui...indpost__p__347

You should (from that thread):
a. Open up SAM-BA (tell it to use AT91SAM7X512-EK as its board)
b. Don't change tabs. Execute the "boot from flash" and then the "enable flash" scripts.
c. Flash the TinyBooterDecompressor.bin file to your Netduino. Say "no" to locking sectors.
d. Verify the firmware (adding two zeros into the 0x1000... count first)
e. Unplug and replug your Netduino--and then use MFDeploy to flash the Netduino serial firmware onto your device.

I'm going to be hopping on a plane soon, but I'll try to check the forums to help you get up and running if you'd like.

Chris

i never changed tabs, flash was what was selected.

re-erased, at step "c" - how do i flash it? i ran the first two scripts, i don't see any flash button or anything.

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:21 AM

There should be a button to the right of the file selection box. "Send file" if my memory serves me correctly. Chris

#17 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

There should be a button to the right of the file selection box. "Send file" if my memory serves me correctly.

Chris

running into the same problem. i'm attaching the entire console for you to see, i did step 1 and 2, then selected the file and clicked send file:

loading history file ... 0 events added
SAM-BA CDC console display active (Tcl8.4.13 / Tk8.4.13)
(SAM-BA v2.10) 1 %
(SAM-BA v2.10) 1 % FLASH::ScriptGPNMV 4
-I- GPNVM2 set
(SAM-BA v2.10) 1 % FLASH::Init
-I- Loading applet isp-flash-at91sam7x512.bin at address 0x202000
-I- Memory Size : 0x80000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x202C88
-I- Buffer size: 0x1D200 bytes
-I- Applet initialization done
(SAM-BA v2.10) 1 % send_file {Flash} "C:/[download]/netduino/TinyBooterDecompressor_v4.1.0.2/TinyBooterDecompressor.bin" 0x100000 0
(SAM-BA v2.10) 1 %

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

(SAM-BA v2.10) 1 %

The problem is in the path to your file. It doesn't like the [] around the directory "download". Can you copy the file to a directory which doesn't have brackets or other special characters in its name?

Curious issue. I've never tried to make directories with brackets in them before...

Chris

#19 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:11 AM

The problem is in the path to your file. It doesn't like the [] around the directory "download". Can you copy the file to a directory which doesn't have brackets or other special characters in its name?

Curious issue. I've never tried to make directories with brackets in them before...

Chris

that was it. i was able to flash it.

i closed the app, unplugged the device and re-plugged it back in, but it's no longer recognizable, so i can't connect to it in MFDeploy

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:17 AM

that was it. i was able to flash it.

i closed the app, unplugged the device and re-plugged it back in, but it's no longer recognizable, so i can't connect to it in MFDeploy

It's now flashed and ready to use MFDeploy to program it--but via a serial connection. You'll need to use a USB to TTL cable (or an RS232 shield)...which will make your Netduino appear as a serial port. Then, deploy the serial firmware via MFDeploy.

Do you have a USB-to-TTL cable (3.3V) or an RS232 shield for your Netduino?

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.