Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Fragged mini?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

I connected the gold pad to pin 21, and attempted to follow the steps in the 'How to reflash your mini' post. However, I cant get sam-ba 2.10 to connect. It fails with a 'communication error'.

I can't rule out there could be errors in my howto on reflashing but haven't got any replies saying so. There's also this post on reflashing the mini:

http://forums.netdui...ch__1#entry6458

I'll try to find the time to verify my howto by re-running it my self.

#22 Troll feeder

Troll feeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Since most computers don't have serial ports any more is there any chance of seeing a mini with a USB port soon? The only computer in my house with a real serial port is my wife's old laptop.

#23 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

I think USB would be too tricky considering the size. You can easily get a USB to Serial cable (either TTL or RS232 level) for programming. Same deal, it just doesn't end up permanently in your finished project.

#24 Troll feeder

Troll feeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:13 AM

I think USB would be too tricky considering the size. You can easily get a USB to Serial cable (either TTL or RS232 level) for programming. Same deal, it just doesn't end up permanently in your finished project.

Ahhh...but with the ttl serial I belive you can't use the first com port, and can't reflash. Does any have a good source for a usb to RS-232(12v) adapter? Maybe someday there will be a mini+ that's similar to the arduino mini?

#25 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

I found a cheap USB to RS232 cable on eBay. It definitely looks a bit cheap with translucent blue ends and silvery cable, but no problems with quality. Ideal if you have a project that uses serial TTL. In my case I managed to get a display and GPS sharing the remaining serial TTL com port. The display needed TX only. The GPS needed RX only. I just had to ensure they expected the same baud rate and all was good. The mini can be programmed and debugged over either COM port but that port is then unusable whilst debugging. Should be no problem using both in your application without debugging too. Chris has also hinted there might be a version of the mini with 2x serial TTL at a later date. I'm sure Secret Labs have plenty of other things to keep them busy first though.

#26 Troll feeder

Troll feeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:37 AM

I found a cheap USB to RS232 cable on eBay. It definitely looks a bit cheap with translucent blue ends and silvery cable, but no problems with quality. Ideal if you have a project that uses serial TTL.

In my case I managed to get a display and GPS sharing the remaining serial TTL com port. The display needed TX only. The GPS needed RX only. I just had to ensure they expected the same baud rate and all was good.

The mini can be programmed and debugged over either COM port but that port is then unusable whilst debugging. Should be no problem using both in your application without debugging too.

Chris has also hinted there might be a version of the mini with 2x serial TTL at a later date. I'm sure Secret Labs have plenty of other things to keep them busy first though.

The issue is really that if you have to reset and flash the mini you can only succeed on the RS-232 port (com1). :rolleyes: I'm going to look for a "real" usb to RS-232 adapter. If I find it I'll post it for other people in my situation to look at.

On a happier note my new mini arrived and it works perfectly! B) :D :D :D :D

#27 2Elemental

2Elemental

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

I recieved a mini via amazon.com. A couple of pins were slightly bent, I bent them back into place and started working on the mini. I have an anti-static mat, solderless prototyping boards, regulated power supply, the works. I couldn't attach to the mini through pins 11 & 12. I have several USB-TTL converters and I tried all of them. I shorted my Tx and Rx and typed characters do loop back. I tried using a TTL-CMOS converter and that didn't work either. In desperation I erased the mini, and tried 2.09 and 2.10 Sam-ba and couldn't attach to the mini. I filed a return with amazon for the mini no working and printed the return label. When I removed the mini from the proto board the formerly bent pins snapped off (1&24). So here is the question, what do I do now? If I send the mini back to amazon I expect them tonpith a fit because a couple of pins are broken. I've already ordered a replacement mini from amazon. I'm willing to keep the mini with broken pins if there is a way to get it workin properly, re-soldering a couple of pins isn't a big deal for me.

What was the answer to this one? Is it possible to repair a broken pin of the Netduino Mini?

#28 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi 2Elemental,

Is it possible to repair a broken pin of the Netduino Mini?

It is possible, although it's a delicate hand-repaired operation. The edge pins on Netduino Minis are designed for direct soldering to circuit boards and for DIP sockets, so they're more fragile than header pins. Chris

#29 2Elemental

2Elemental

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Ok, not or the faint-hearted then. Thanks for your reply though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.