Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

USB on/off switch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:23 AM

This isn't strictly Netduino related...

While prototyping a circuit to interface with my Netduino, I grew tired of disconnecting and reconnecting the micro USB cable. So I decided to build an on/off switch into a USB cable. V1 worked well, but looked really ghetto.

So I bought a USB B female, and USB A female, switch and project box. I did some fabrication on the project box, and some soldering, and now I have a much better looking on/off switch for USB power.

If your going to make your own, you need to put your switch on the +5v wire (pin 1 - red).

Posted Image

#2 ItsDan

ItsDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

I save the wear and tear on my netduino by unplugging the computer end of it.
Follow the adventures of the Box of Crappy Surplus

Total BOCS Traveled Distance: 9708 miles | States Visited: 5
Track the Box

#3 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

I save the wear and tear on my netduino by unplugging the computer end of it.

But then you push the wear off onto the USB host connector on your computer. If you read up on it, USB connectors are only rated for so many insertions. Its 1,500 IIRC for USB A.

Plus, a switch is more convenient for me.

#4 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

But then you push the wear off onto the USB host connector on your computer. If you read up on it, USB connectors are only rated for so many insertions. Its 1,500 IIRC for USB A.

Plus, a switch is more convenient for me.

You make a good point! This is why I use USB extension cables on my computer, the computer's end stays in all the time. Though I do think your switch is very practical. The little black box earns you massive geek points in my book (good thing) :lol: ... if you add this: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278 you will get evil genius geek points (the best of them all) :P

very cool Dan M :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.