Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Relay board with RFID

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:46 AM

I've been working on a relay and RFID board for a few weeks now and thought I would post a pic of the finished board. My father-in-law owns a PCB milling machine (T-Tech 5000) and was kind enough to mill me a two-layer board.

I made a mistake when doing the layout which is why you see the red jumper wire going to the 5V pin on the Netduino+. I verified everything twice, except the physical spacing between the two 8 pin headers and the two 6 pin headers. Draught!

There are two 6 pin headers in the lower left. One goes to the RFID board (ID-20, plus LED) which isn't milled yet. The other 6 pin header goes to the actual door lock/unlock mechanism, with two of the pins being used for a reed switch.

Posted Image

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:31 AM

Hi Dan, Very nice. Is this designed for personal use only...or do you have any plans to make the shield available to others as well? Could be the seed for a cool built-it-yourself kit too! Chris

#3 ItsDan

ItsDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Very cool. RFID was something I planned to explore down the road and I love how (generally) few components it took to make the relay interface. If you don't plan to make it available as a kit like Chris suggested would love to see a wiring diagram.
Follow the adventures of the Box of Crappy Surplus

Total BOCS Traveled Distance: 9708 miles | States Visited: 5
Track the Box

#4 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hi Dan,

Very nice. Is this designed for personal use only...or do you have any plans to make the shield available to others as well?

Could be the seed for a cool built-it-yourself kit too!

Chris

Chris,
I honestly hadn't through about doing it up as a kit. There is less than $10 in components (as pictured), but my fear is the board cost will put it out of reach. Batch PCB wants $2.50 sq in and milling these up one off isn't cheap either. I will gladly release the schematic, BOM and board layout though once I get the layout issue w/ the lower 6 pin headers fixed.

#5 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

Very cool. RFID was something I planned to explore down the road and I love how (generally) few components it took to make the relay interface. If you don't plan to make it available as a kit like Chris suggested would love to see a wiring diagram.

The schematic is pretty easy honestly. I used the relay schematic from the arduino site, added a pull-down resistor to keep it from floating high on power up.

I've got to work on the board layout a bit to correct the issues with the two bottom pin headers, but after that I'll release it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.