Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Enclosure Report and Pics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 budzz

budzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Attached are a couple of pics from my quick 'n dirty attempt at an enclosure for a recent Netduino Plus(NP) project. It was a Hammond 1553 case - just over $10 each. I went with the translucent blue so I could still see the LED inside. The following mods were needed:

1) I didn't think I could make neat work of the front plastic blank included with the case, so I fashioned my own front insert out of some softer plastic (that I could cut with a stout knife). I made the blank by tracing the one that came with the case, then, with that blank inserted and the NP sitting in the case, I traced where to cut with a Sharpie.
2) Made my own board supports by epoxing a couple of screws to the case bottom. I left the NP's rubber feet on. I did this after I had made my front plate, since the front plate helps hold the NP where it needs to be while the epoxy sets.
3) The case provides four circuit board support "posts", which I didn't plan on using. The NP doesn't quite fit between the front two, so I vertically sliced the inner half of these front two posts with a dremel to make room.
4) The case is held together by two recessed screws that travel through two plastic guides on the case bottom and screw into two plastic posts in the case top. Again, the NP doesn't quite fit between the two plastic guides so I vertically sliced away the inner half. Only having half a guide doesn't seem to have any noticable effect on the case begin held together.

The case comes in two styles, one with a battery compartment and one without. I thought I ordered the one without a battery compartment ( Digikey part# HM1156-ND ), but the one I received had one... and I just made do with it. A small circuit board and and some external connectors will go into the battery compartment before I'm all done - the finished project will be a couple of internet controlled relays.

Here's the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 teachop

teachop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

That looks nice. What are your plans for exit of the relay wiring? Maybe the battery door will come in handy as an access door for that, if they go to internal terminal blocks and exit thru a grommet.

#3 budzz

budzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

That looks nice. What are your plans for exit of the relay wiring? Maybe the battery door will come in handy as an access door for that, if they go to internal terminal blocks and exit thru a grommet.

I have a couple of tiny 2.5mm barrel jacks that I'm epoxied to the rear end of the board that mounts in the battery compartment, and I'm simply going to drill a hole in the end of the case for the plug to reach them. According to my test fittings, the hole should mostly be in the top portion of the case, whereas the bottom portion of the case is where the battery cover is. I finished the wiring/soldering on the little board, but am currently waiting on the epoxy to harden before I reinstall it into the battery compartment - I'll post another pic of the whole thing when it's done.

My plan B was what you suggested, and I believe that would work also...

Here's a little drawing that I used to design the little board that's going into the battery case:
Posted Image

#4 budzz

budzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

Here's a pic of the barrel jacks. I haven't got the holes drilled yet, nor have I finished the wire routing.

Posted Image

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

budzz, This is really awesome. A portable case for a Netduino Plus...with room to stash some extra electronics and a thin shield. I can see a ton of uses for this! I want one :) Chris

#6 Carsten Dressler

Carsten Dressler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

I used this thing:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10088

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.