Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Crazy motorcycle Arduino project

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

If you have been reading the forums you might have seen my threads on using the Netduino to control a custom LED accent lighting system on my motorcycle. It originally started on an Arduino. However, I have moved it to the Netduino Plus because of the built in SD card and ethernet. That means more I/O pins available for other features. This means I have an Arduino lying around. So I was thinking to myself, what could I do with it? While reading the Victory Owners Group forums I saw someone who put controls for his heated suit on the top of the dash on his Cross Country. He put two LEDs and two knobs. When I saw the picture the first thing I noticed was the LEDs were reflecting off of the windshield. I instantly thought of a HUD speedometer. It should be easy to do, just an Arduino with a GPS shield and a 4 digit 7 segment display. The bike's speedo receives a digital signal so I would have to reverse engineer that. I figure a GPS module is easier and more accurate. I got that all working together fine, other than my GPS module was defective and I am waiting for a replacement. This is the dangerous thing about giving me time to think about a project. I realized I will always have a GPS on the bike. Why not track the bike? So, I started researching how to track the bike. I found two solutions. First would be to get the cellular shield, Then I would need a text only or data only plan to send SMS messages to Twitter. I could write a PHP page to parse the Twitter account and put the data into Google maps. The issue with this is the monthly cost, especially for the months I don't ride the bike in winter. I could go with a prepaid plan but then if I let service time run out I have to reset everything with a new phone number in spring. The second option is to use APRS. APRS is a way to send data using shortwave radio (ham radio). This would only require the proper equipment and a ham radio license. The license is fairly simple to get - it is a 35 question test to see if you understand the terms, equipment, and safety regulations. The cool part is I don't have to write the web interface. Here's an example of a service truck in the St Paul/Minneapolis area. http://aprs.fi/?call...timerange=21600 Also it would be better than cellular as the coverage area is practically the entire world. I found the product that would be perfect for this. http://www.byonics.c...trak/mt-rtg.php I emailed the company to ask how much power the device uses when at idle and when transmitting. Transmitting can take up to 2 watts or more depending on how it is configured. That isn't surprising because it is ham radio. The email said with their GPS connected the whole thing takes up 65ma when at idle. This seems great. It won't take up much extra power. But then I started thinking again. I could use the system to find the bike if it was stolen. However, I would not want the system on all the time, just to be safe. Call me paranoid, I know it wouldn't be much of a power drain, but I don't want to deal with battery that couldn't start the bike. So, this is where I would like to ask some of the electronics guys' opinions. My thoughts on how to deal with this are to use a some type of vibration switch - like a piezo switch. The system would be off. The piezo switch could turn on a self powered relay circuit that turns the Arduino and MicroTrak on. If the Arduino detects the ignition is not on it will start a timer. The timer is used to trigger another relay to turn the system off. The bike will only transmit a position if it detects it hasn't moved 100 feet. This way if I move the bike out of the garage to wash it or use the garage for something it doesn't trigger a data packet to be sent. I think I could come up with a schematic explaining this, I just have to think about how the relays would be hooked up. Do you guys have any better ideas?

#2 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:50 AM

This means I have an Arduino lying around. So I was thinking to myself, what could I do with it? While reading the Victory Owners Group forums I saw someone who put controls for his heated suit on the top of the dash on his Cross Country. He put two LEDs and two knobs. When I saw the picture the first thing I noticed was the LEDs were reflecting off of the windshield. I instantly thought of a HUD speedometer.

It should be easy to do, just an Arduino with a GPS shield and a 4 digit 7 segment display. The bike's speedo receives a digital signal so I would have to reverse engineer that. I figure a GPS module is easier and more accurate.

This is actually one of the projects I want to do for my bike. I've got a Yamaha V-Star, and the speedo is on top of the tank. It means I have to take my eyes off the road, and re-focus on the speedo, then back to the road.

I was going to handle this by either putting a 3 7 segment LEDs in my helmet, and reflect off the visor, or by mounting on the wind screen and reflecting off that.

I saw where one guy took both the engine RPM, and wheel speed sensor and built a table up so he could display the gear as well. His logic was something like, if the bike is going 30 mph, and the RPM is 2500, then I must be in second gear.

-dan

#3 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

I've got a Yamaha V-Star, and the speedo is on top of the tank.

http://img.photobuck.../bike/bike2.jpg

I am getting a Victory Cross Country later this year, otherwise I have a 2000 VStar.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/
Their flexible arduino would be perfect. You should be able to hide that in between the helmet shell and foam.

I've been thinking more about this project. The APRS route will be the best route. I just need to find some type of vibration sensor to turn the system on. So, time to look into what it takes to become a licenses ham radio operator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.