Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino for my first product

netduino production product

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vishnusmoke

vishnusmoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:36 AM

I have built a small prototype successfully based on the Netduino Plus 2 board. Now, I'm in the process of creating my first product (small one) based on Netduino. I'm a S/W developer and this would be my first time getting into the H/W product space. I have a few questions, which I'm hoping could get answered here in the community:

1. Looking at the license of Netduino, it seems, I can safely build my board based on Netduino and still have my product design closed source. Is this correct? (but still give credit to Netduino)

2. If I build my own board, then, my guess is, that before the chip is soldered on the board, it needs to be programmed with NETMF, Netduino libraries and my code. How is it done? Any pointers would be great.

3. Alternatively, I can have a 3.3V RS232 interface on the board and using FTDI cable, I should be able to program the microcontroller using serial port after the chip is soldered. I have seen on MFDeploy, the option for Serial, but have never tried before. Is it possible? If yes, can someone outline the steps.

Please do point out errors in the above thought process. I have manage some fund to get the first batch out for this ,and would like to use it carefully.

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:25 PM

There are a number of posts discussing this:

http://forums.netdui...roject/?p=36540

http://forums.netdui...s-onto-own-pcb/

From what I remember reading over the years, you can use the designs and keep your design closed but you need to acknowledge that the work is derived from Netduino.  The design is open source so you are free to use it in your product.

You do not necessarily need to program the chips before they are fixed to a board.  You will need to add connections / supporting electronics to allow the microcontroller to be programmed in situ.

Hope this helps,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 vishnusmoke

vishnusmoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Nevyn. I did see the posts, but they do not exactly answer the queries. Thanks for your help. I will take it forward from here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: netduino, production, product

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.