Flashing Netduino Mini with Netduino 3 - Netduino Mini - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Flashing Netduino Mini with Netduino 3

flashing mini netduino

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tridy

tridy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hi.

I am thinking about getting a Mini one day, and was wondering if it is possible to flash a Mini with the help of a regular Netduino 3 for example? One needs special tools, USB/Serial connectors to flash Mini from a computer, so I was wondering if another Netduino could be used as this link between a Mini and a PC.

Thanks.

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:33 AM

Interesting idea, whilst I can see an overall picture of what you are trying to do I would say that you are opening yourself up to a whole load of development activity when all you really need is a FTDI cable which here in the UK costs between £2 and £12.

Sparkfuns 3.3V FTDI cable is $18

Bitsbox in the UK sells one for £2.20 (I've not tested this one)

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 tridy

tridy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:49 PM

I read somewhere in this forum that it is better to get a "USA-19HS Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter" since it is more reliable but I don't have any experience with flashing Minis yet and if it is possible to get them bricked by unreliable USBs. It is hard to find a 19HS in Europe and I actually have a FTDI cable but I think it is 5v, so I will need to do more research. I also have one of USB to I2C IIC SPI UART TTL Converter that has 5/3.3V switch that might work. I guess I will figure it out along the way.

regards

#4 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:51 AM

I read somewhere in this forum that it is better to get a "USA-19HS Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter" since it is more reliable but I don't have any experience with flashing Minis yet and if it is possible to get them bricked by unreliable USBs. It is hard to find a 19HS in Europe and I actually have a FTDI cable but I think it is 5v, so I will need to do more research. I also have one of USB to I2C IIC SPI UART TTL Converter that has 5/3.3V switch that might work. I guess I will figure it out along the way.

regards

Hello!

Is your Mini (If you have one) already configured? It can be configured to be TTL I/O or Serial. (RS232). For mine I chose TTL I/O and typically use an FTDI breakout board to deliver it, although the first times used a USB board made by the Arduino guys for their mini.

The FTDI cable you have will work.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flashing, mini, netduino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.