Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Dead ND3?

Best Answer blindahl, 28 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

Chris -

I guess this is another one for the "things to try when it doesn't work" file - change USB cables. Switched from one variety of cheap usb-micro cable to another, and it works fine. Guess the other one is going in the "charging only" pile.

Thanks for your great responses... it's really nice to have someone dependable on the other end of the tech support pipe.

brian

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blindahl

blindahl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSedro-Woolley, WA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

I've got a netduino 3 that I've been using successfully for a while now. Tried to connect it earlier this week for the first time in a month or so, and couldn't get it to connect with USB. I'd get one of 3 errors: (sorry for the vague wording, can't quite remember and it's worse now)

• Unknown device with "Device descriptor request failed"
  • Unknown device with"Configuration descriptor request failed"
  • "Netduino" with a yellow ! and "device could not be configured" when looking at the status

Got it to connect in bootloader mode, and tried re-applying the latest firmware (4.3.2.2). NetduinoUpdate tried to do it's thing, but said "Error: Verify failed". And now plugging it into USB normally doesn't do anything, although I can still get into bootloader mode.

Did I brick it somehow? Is there anything else I can try before giving up and ordering a new one? If not, is there any chance this is under warranty somehow such that I could get an RMA from adafruit for it?

brian

#2 blindahl

blindahl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

Just an addendum, I purchased it from Adafruit on May 13.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

Hi brian,

A few diagnostics steps:
1. Can you try rebooting your PC really quickly--and then using another USB port on your computer (if on a laptop, preferably on the other side)--and then reflashing via Netduino Update?
2. Do you have a copy of the STDFU tools? Can you erase the board using STDFU Tester?

Chris

#4 Simbraska

Simbraska

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm having similar issue with my new netduino 3. Rebooting doesn't seem to help. And STDFU tools can't select the device neither. 

Suspecting it's still a driver issue. Is there a .zip file just for the driver, so to manually install?

#5 Simbraska

Simbraska

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

I have managed to get pass this by doing the following:

While re-installing netduino sdk, press the round button on the board. This seems to reboot the board (maybe?) and this shows up. 2015-07-28_0120.png

Now I can connect to the board with .Net MF deployment tool. 

However, still having no luck on NetduinoUpdate.exe.

#6 blindahl

blindahl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

OK, with the other serial port I could at least get it to flash. Tried both NetduinoUpdate (no errors during upgrade) and erasing with STDFUTester then upgrading. Both ways seemed to succeed, but I'm still getting the problems with the USB. The errors, which seem to be random when i re-plug the device, are:

• This device cannot start. (Code 10) (shows as "Netduino" with a yellow !)

{Operation Failed}
    The requested operation was unsuccessful.

• Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) (shows as 'Unknows USB device')

A request for the USB device descriptor failed

• Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) (shows as 'Unknows USB device')

A request for the USB configuration descriptor failed.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hi blindahl,

Can you please try uninstalling the driver for the Netduino in Device Manager? And then repairing the Netduino SDK (so the drivers re-install) and re-plug the device?

Also, any chance you can plug the Netduino into a second PC and see if the drivers load (to isolate any issue that's PC-specific)?

We're beyond the 30 day return/warranty period...but I'd like to get to the bottom of this. If none of the above works, let's get that board back so we can take a look at it and get you a replacement unit.

Thank you,

Chris

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hi Simbraska,

Hi Chris,
I'm having similar issue with my new netduino 3. Rebooting doesn't seem to help. And STDFU tools can't select the device neither. 
Suspecting it's still a driver issue. Is there a .zip file just for the driver, so to manually install?

Which version of STDFU Tools are you using? v3.0.4 (the latest public version) is available here:
http://www.st.com/we...SS1533/PF257916

I believe that the DFU drivers come down over Windows Update, as well as being installed by STDFU Tools in the following folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\DfuSe v3.0.4\Bin\Driver

Does that get you what you need?

Chris

#9 blindahl

blindahl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:28 PM   Best Answer

Chris -

I guess this is another one for the "things to try when it doesn't work" file - change USB cables. Switched from one variety of cheap usb-micro cable to another, and it works fine. Guess the other one is going in the "charging only" pile.

Thanks for your great responses... it's really nice to have someone dependable on the other end of the tech support pipe.

brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.