Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Shield Base or Netduino 3

shieldbase serial firmware

Best Answer Chris Walker , 09 June 2015 - 05:00 AM

Hi Stoo,

If you're looking for Wi-Fi support, Netduino 3 Wi-Fi is a really great choice. It'll work with the production GoBus modules you already have (and will work with Shield Base too, once we add in support for that). Most users who want to use the plug-and-play modules are opting for Netduino 3 Wi-Fi at the moment.

Then again, you already have hardware... So many choices :)

BTW, you can actually use the older firmware with Visual Studio 2013. No requirement to upgrade to the latest-and-greatest. Just change the target framework in your project properties to ".NET Micro Framework 4.2."

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TechyStoo

TechyStoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:54 PM

I purchased a Netdunio Go starter kit about 2 years ago for use in sensor projects where the use of the shield base would be critical. For various reasons I didn't get the time I expected to work on these and now I've come back to look at these projects again I see everything as changed! :(

The Go is no longer listed on the main hardware page and reading other threads it appears that the shield base isn't supported in the current firmware although this still seems to be in beta. Yet I need the current firmware to use Visual Studio 2013 and the current SDK.

So my question to those reading this post is since I'm looking to use the I/O pins & serial ports that are present on the shield base or built in to the Netduino 3 wifi instead of the GoBus ports, is the Netdunio Go the platform to stick with as I already have one or would I save myself a lot of trouble by purchasing a Netdunio 3 wifi instead? 

Thank you in advance,

Stoo

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:00 AM   Best Answer

Hi Stoo,

If you're looking for Wi-Fi support, Netduino 3 Wi-Fi is a really great choice. It'll work with the production GoBus modules you already have (and will work with Shield Base too, once we add in support for that). Most users who want to use the plug-and-play modules are opting for Netduino 3 Wi-Fi at the moment.

Then again, you already have hardware... So many choices :)

BTW, you can actually use the older firmware with Visual Studio 2013. No requirement to upgrade to the latest-and-greatest. Just change the target framework in your project properties to ".NET Micro Framework 4.2."

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

#3 TechyStoo

TechyStoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

Chris,

Thanks for your post it give's me the guidance I was looking for.

I'm not too interested in using Wi-Fi at the moment due to the higher power drain compared to using Bluetooth or ZigBee, is it possible to disable the Wi-Fi on the Netduino 3 with the idea being to reduce it's power requirement?

As you say I already have the hardware so I'll see how far I can get with the firmware I currently have on the Go (I remember updating it once so will need to see if there is a later update which still supports the Shield Base) but change the target framework as you suggest for Visual Studio 2013. 

This will also allow me to save the cost of a Netduino 3 as I understand there an updated Netduino Mini is in the works which assuming it comes at a lower price point than the Netduino 3 would be ideal for my projects as I'll need multiple Netduino's.

Stuart

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shieldbase, serial, firmware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.