Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to reduce pin usage

Best Answer Nevyn, 23 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

There are a few options, the most common one people have used here is to use a single 74HCT595 shift register.  This will allow you to use three pins and have 8 outputs per chip.  You need the HCT version as this will allow you to use 3.3V outputs to communicate with the chip.  There's a fair amount of examples in the forums here for using these chips.

There are other chips such as the MCP23S17 which has 16 input/output pins.  This one uses SPI but there are I2C versions out there.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolai

Nicolai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

Looking at something like this, it uses A LOT of pins.

Is there some way I can reduce the pin usage, on things like these? 

I will run out of pins if I use things like this :(

$_57.JPG

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:34 PM   Best Answer

There are a few options, the most common one people have used here is to use a single 74HCT595 shift register.  This will allow you to use three pins and have 8 outputs per chip.  You need the HCT version as this will allow you to use 3.3V outputs to communicate with the chip.  There's a fair amount of examples in the forums here for using these chips.

There are other chips such as the MCP23S17 which has 16 input/output pins.  This one uses SPI but there are I2C versions out there.

Hope this helps,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

A nice thing about these serial to parallel chips is that all the outputs change at the same time. Individual GPIOs have to be changed one at a time.
Not always a problem, but sometimes important.
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.