Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to recover non responding Netduino 3

Best Answer Chris Walker, 13 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

Hi Beastyboy,

Can you try something for me really quickly?
1. Unplug your Netduino 3 from your computer. Remove all shields/components from the board.
2. Start Netduino Update on your computer.
3. Plug the MicroUSB cable into your Netduino 3.
4. Hold the pushbutton on your Netduino 3. Keep holding the pushbutton.
5. Plug the other end of the USB cable into your PC (while still holding the pushbutton).

Does the board show up in Netduino Update now? What does it appear as?

We've found that the STDFU drivers struggle a little bit with some computers (a combination of certain versions of Windows and certain USB chipset drivers). The above steps are meant to eliminate power-up sequence and signal connection speed from the equation.

There is a backup reflash plan, in case Netduino Update can't pull your board type via the STDFU drivers. Today that backup plan is using the STDFU tools themselves--although we could add a "manual firmware selection" feature to Netduino Update in the future if that's a better backup option.

Chris Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

Hi Chris,

My Netduino 3 is not recognized anymore after working correctly for 2 full days.

Device manager shows netduino but Netduino Update does not recognize it anymore.

On power up the LED and POWER are on.

Pressing the reset button and inserting it will show it as a STM in DFU mode device.

Do we have files to recover it?

Cheers Beastyboy.

ps: Maybe it is helpful to explain what you have to do to get a bricked Netduino 3 working again and Pin this here. 

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:05 PM   Best Answer

Hi Beastyboy,

Can you try something for me really quickly?
1. Unplug your Netduino 3 from your computer. Remove all shields/components from the board.
2. Start Netduino Update on your computer.
3. Plug the MicroUSB cable into your Netduino 3.
4. Hold the pushbutton on your Netduino 3. Keep holding the pushbutton.
5. Plug the other end of the USB cable into your PC (while still holding the pushbutton).

Does the board show up in Netduino Update now? What does it appear as?

We've found that the STDFU drivers struggle a little bit with some computers (a combination of certain versions of Windows and certain USB chipset drivers). The above steps are meant to eliminate power-up sequence and signal connection speed from the equation.

There is a backup reflash plan, in case Netduino Update can't pull your board type via the STDFU drivers. Today that backup plan is using the STDFU tools themselves--although we could add a "manual firmware selection" feature to Netduino Update in the future if that's a better backup option.

Chris

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

Hi beastyboy,

Device manager shows netduino but Netduino Update does not recognize it anymore.

Just FYI:

Device Manager will show Netduino 3 as "Netduino" when it's booting normally (runtime mode). When it's in bootloader mode, it will show it as "STDFU device..."

Netduino Update will only see a device in bootloader mode (using the STDFU bootloader drivers).

Chris

#4 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

That worked perfectly Chris!

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#5 DevBiker

DevBiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

So ... what's the backup plan?

I'm currently in this pickle and the Netduino update app a) doesn't recognize the device as a Netduino (it says "STM Device in DFU Mode") and B) when I do select Netduino 3 Wi Fi from the options, the app either hangs (on 2 machines) or says something along the lines of "Could not save configuration. Error: Specified method is not supported" (on a 3rd machine).

I had already updated to 4.3.2.2 when suddenly, in the middle of a deployment, it just stopped behaving nicely. :-(

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hi DevBiker,

To manually flash firmware using ST DFUSE tools, grab the latest copy of ST's DFUSE tools from the download link at the bottom of the following page:
http://www.st.com/we...SS1533/PF257916

To erase your board's firmware (do this first):
1. Detach your Netduino
2. Press and hold your Netduino's pushbutton while plugging it in via USB; this will put it in bootloader mode.
3. Erase the firmware on your Netduino using the STDFU Tester application
> a. Select the "Protocol" tab
> b. Press the "Create from Map" button
> c. Select the "Erase" radio button option
> d. Press the "Go" button
> e. Wait for erase process to complete

To create the DFU files which you will program onto your Netduino:
1. Run "DFU File Manager" (from the ST DFU tools)
2. Select "I want to GENERATE a DFU file" and press OK.
3. Click "S19 or HEX..." and then select one of the firmware files in Netduino Update's respective Firmware folder.
4. Click the "generate" button to generate a DFU file which contains the S19 (HEX) file you picked in step 3.
5. Click "delete selected image".
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the other two firmware files.

Finally, flash each of the .DFU files using the ST DfuSe Demonstrator application (included with STDFU Tester).
1. Run "ST DfuSe Demonstrator"
2. Locate the "Upgrade or Verify Action" pane (bottom-right pane)
3. Press "Choose..." and select one of the generated DFU files
4. Check the "Verify after download" option
5. Press "Upgrade". It will take a few moments to update your Netduino.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the other two firmware files.

After you have flashed all the .DFU files, detach and reattach your Netduino (power cycle) or press "Leave DFU mode".

This takes quite a few more steps than Netduino Update, but it should get you back up and running.

Did these instructions enable you to reflash your board?

Chris

#7 DevBiker

DevBiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

One question ... when running the "DFU File Manager", there are some additional inputs. Under "Device", there's "Vendor ID", "Product ID" and "Version". Also, under "Injection" is "Target Id" and "Target Name". Should these be left as they are or do they need to have specific values?

#8 DevBiker

DevBiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

OK ... ran through the process with the defaults and ... IT WORKED!!! Yay! Thanks! :D

One strange thing, though ... the Dfu File Manager only seemed to want to save to its installation folder (Program File (x86)), not to the folder that I specified for the files. This baffled me a bit as it reported success but there weren't any actual files until I ran it "As Administrator".

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hi DevBiker,

One question ... when running the "DFU File Manager", there are some additional inputs. Under "Device", there's "Vendor ID", "Product ID" and "Version". Also, under "Injection" is "Target Id" and "Target Name". Should these be left as they are or do they need to have specific values?

You can leave these blank, although we typically set the device ID values to the ones shown in DfuSe Demonstrator. 

OK ... ran through the process with the defaults and ... IT WORKED!!! Yay! Thanks! :D
One strange thing, though ... the Dfu File Manager only seemed to want to save to its installation folder (Program File (x86)), not to the folder that I specified for the files. This baffled me a bit as it reported success but there weren't any actual files until I ran it "As Administrator".

Yeah... We are grateful that ST has tools for manually flashing boards via USB...but...they can be a bit quirky ;)

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.