Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Outdoor project, 70 feet, 5 walls and a shed.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave1374

Dave1374

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hey,

I'm looking to do an outdoor project that needs to receive the signal from about 70 feet from the home router. Also, there are multiple walls (5?) between the router and the microcontroller.

Can it work with the Netduino 3 built in wifi or do I need to add an antena ?

The Netduino will be inside a shed.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

HI Dave1374,

I'm looking to do an outdoor project that needs to receive the signal from about 70 feet from the home router. Also, there are multiple walls (5?) between the router and the microcontroller.

Can it work with the Netduino 3 built in wifi or do I need to add an antena ?

The Netduino will be inside a shed.

With RF, for better or worse, results will depend on multiple factors include the signal strength of your access point. That said, 2.4GHz is a faster frequency so it will get blocked more by walls...and five walls and 70 feet may be stretching things a bit at that point. Add to that a possible outer-metal wall on the shed...

If the range is too much, you may consider adding a Wi-Fi repeater inside the outer wall of your home. Or using XBee with repeaters or another technology in conjunction with or as a replacement for Wi-Fi. Lots of options, some better for your application than others...

Chris

#3 tridy

tridy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

Do you mean that this is an outdoor facility like an outdoor pool, or that is needs to go "throught" the outdoor into a garage, for example that might have common source power lines?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.