Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Introducing Netduino 3 Wi-Fi

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Joshk

Joshk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

...standard MicroSD cards (up to 2GB).

That stinks.  For my 70 Netduino Plus 2 I have spend $700 in cards.  Now the next batch will cost the same.  All for a simple integer.

#22 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

Sweet! Looks like a real winner.

Cheers beastyboy

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#23 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

Hi Joshk,

For my 70 Netduino Plus 2 I have spend $700 in cards.

I've put "simple storage" on the feature request list. This is something community members can attack and we can incorporate into the firmware. Or it's something we can attack, once we get a few other items out of the way... I do understand where this would be valuable.

Chris
  • energywave likes this

#24 Joshk

Joshk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

Hi Joshk,
I've put "simple storage" on the feature request list. This is something community members can attack and we can incorporate into the firmware. Or it's something we can attack, once we get a few other items out of the way... I do understand where this would be valuable.

Chris

Good to know, thanks.

#25 Sukasa

Sukasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNanaimo, BC

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

Can SDHC support get put on that feature wishlist?  It's getting harder and harder to get ahold of <=2GB cards these days

#26 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:45 AM

Hi Sukasa,

Can SDHC support get put on that feature wishlist?  It's getting harder and harder to get ahold of <=2GB cards these days

This isn't supported with the open source MMC/SD Card driver in NETMF, but we have officially put it on the feature wishlist.

This board is really great today--and with firmware upgrades will become even better over time.

Chris

#27 danutm

danutm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

Is Netduino 3 Wifi supported in Visual Studio 2013 or in a previous version? I don't see a project template Visual C#/Micro Framework/Netduino 3 Wifi Application, as the R2 beta plug-in was released all the way in November 2014.

#28 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:59 PM

Nice! I'm on holiday in the US for the first time, and have ordered it from Amazon to the hotel. Amazon doesn't ship to Norway, so I'm in luck I'm in Florida now.

Can't wait to try the new Wifi-board.

#29 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

Hi danutm,

Is Netduino 3 Wifi supported in Visual Studio 2013 or in a previous version? I don't see a project template Visual C#/Micro Framework/Netduino 3 Wifi Application, as the R2 beta plug-in was released all the way in November 2014.

Yes, absolutely. We'll actually be shipping a new Netduino SDK next week (4.3.2) and Visual Studio 2013 will be the recommended IDE to use (until VS2015 ships and is fully supported soon).

For templates...you can use the Netduino Plus 2 application for now. The new SDK includes a simplified template scheme which I think you'll really like--and the new template is a superset of the Netduino Plus 2 template.

To configure your Wi-Fi settings, just open up MFDeploy's Network Config and set your SSID and passphrase. WPA2/PSK is automatically selected for you (and covers WPA2 as well).

Chris

#30 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

Hey Frode,

Nice! I'm on holiday in the US for the first time, and have ordered it from Amazon to the hotel. Amazon doesn't ship to Norway, so I'm in luck I'm in Florida now.

Very convenient :) Welcome to Florida!

Can't wait to try the new Wifi-board.

We'd love photos, first impressions, etc. when you unbox your new baby!

Chris

#31 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:37 AM

When will these amazing creations land at the Microcenter chain? Whilst at one today,  I saw a starter kit from MakerShed for one of the earlier ones.

And promptly offered advice to a buyer on the subject of hardware. 

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#32 EddieGarmon

EddieGarmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:05 AM

a small box and some hardware...

http://1drv.ms/1bPA8kq

row of 3 L2R: Net2+, Net3wifi, CerbNet

on chassis: Net2+

#33 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:14 AM

EddieGarmon,

Thanks for the photos! I have a feeling that you're going to have some wirelessly-controlled, self-propelled device running around very soon ;)

Chris

#34 EddieGarmon

EddieGarmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:35 AM

current status:

the front seat's broken and the axle's draggin'

and yes, that and rockets.

#35 energywave

energywave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

I've put "simple storage" on the feature request list.

Great news about netduino 3! I'll consider it certainly for my following industrial projects! I wanted only to give a +1 to the simple storage request. It would be invaluable for me to permanently store some bytes (around 20) to not loose the configuration at reboot. I'm actually using 20 N2 in a project (N2 to keep low the price) so I don't even have a MicroSD to store something in... Isn't there a way to store something permanently today? (I'm actually reconfiguring through serial connection at every reboot but would be far more elegant to store it!)

However thank you for all the improvements of N3!!!  :)

#36 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hi energywave,

It's possible to add an external EEPROM (for a dollar or so) to store data via I2C/SPI on Netduino 2s today, but no internal storage mechanism (outside of deploying data with your code).

I'll add a +1 to the "simple storage" feature request.

Chris

P.S. Glad you like the improvements on Netduino 3. There are a lot of improvements we haven't covered yet too ; more to come :)

P.P.S. Any photos you can share on your project with the N2s? We always love seeing the cool stuff that community members are building with Netduinos!
  • energywave likes this

#37 tridy

tridy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

To configure your Wi-Fi settings, just open up MFDeploy's Network Config and set your SSID and passphrase. WPA2/PSK is automatically selected for you (and covers WPA2 as well).

Hello.

Got my Netduino 3 WiFi today (actually my first one). Kids are asleep and I have managed to get the example with blinking led running by using Netduino 2 template in VS2013. For the next step I would like to test the WiFi connectivity. I think I have configured it correctly vai "Network Configuration" of ".Net Micro Framework Deployment Tool," so now, what is the easiest way of testing if wifi works/configured correctly? Is it by create a web request? Pinging the router?

Thanks!

#38 phantomtypist

phantomtypist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:58 AM

I have NETMF SDK 4.3 QFE2 installed and Netduino SDK 4.3.1 (February 2014) installed.  When I plug the Netduino 3 Wi-Fi into the computer via USB, it is not detected by MFDeploy nor Visual Studio 2012.

I'm guessing I'm missing some new version of the Netduino SDK, correct?

#39 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hi tridy.net,

Got my Netduino 3 WiFi today (actually my first one). Kids are asleep and I have managed to get the example with blinking led running by using Netduino 2 template in VS2013. For the next step I would like to test the WiFi connectivity. I think I have configured it correctly vai "Network Configuration" of ".Net Micro Framework Deployment Tool," so now, what is the easiest way of testing if wifi works/configured correctly? Is it by create a web request? Pinging the router?

That's it! If you've set your SSID and password in MFDeploy Network Configuration, you should be up and running.

If the LED is yellow then the Netduino 3 Wi-Fi is searching for your access point. If the LED is green then it has connected to your access point.

To test your Wi-Fi connectivity, you can also create a new app and add the following code:
while (IPAddress.GetDefaultLocalAddress() == IPAddress.Any) ; // wait for DHCP

Debug.Print("ip address: " + IPAddress.GetDefaultLocalAddress());

Thread.Sleep(Timeout.Infinite);
This will wait for your Netduino to connect to your Wi-Fi network (i.e. until it gets a DHCP-allocated address), print out the IP address, and then go to sleep forever (without terminating the app).

Once you know your board's IP address, ping away :)

Does that get you up and running?

Welcome to the Netduino community!

Chris

#40 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:35 AM

Hey phantomtypist, welcome!

I have NETMF SDK 4.3 QFE2 installed and Netduino SDK 4.3.1 (February 2014) installed.  When I plug the Netduino 3 Wi-Fi into the computer via USB, it is not detected by MFDeploy nor Visual Studio 2012.

I'm guessing I'm missing some new version of the Netduino SDK, correct?

Netduino 3 works with the Netduino 4.3.1 SDK or newer.

When you plug in the Netduino 3, what shows up in Device Manager?

If the driver is not loading, try repairing the Netduino SDK really quickly.

As long as the driver is loading, it should just show up in MFDeploy USB devices.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.