Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino MAC Address Changed ??

Network MAC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgreer5050

bgreer5050

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

I have a Netduino Plus 2.  The MAC address is not the same as it was yesterday.  Has anyone seen this before ?  I want my Netduinos to go out to a database and get specific values.  I wanted to use the MAC address as the unique identifier of the Netduino, but now I am scared to.  I know I can change the MAC address back using the MFDeploy utility.  Is there a way to do so programatically ?  

Original MAC: 5C:86:4A:01:12:46

New MAC: 00:04:a3:00:00:00

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

Hi bgreer5050,

The 00:04:a3 mac is the old "default MAC address" from NETMF. If you're getting that either the board was reflashed without a firmware update...or the config sector can't pull in the MAC address. This really shouldn't happen, either way. If we can find a way to reproduce the issue consistently, we can collaborate with the team in Redmond and address it.

Can you try reflashing your board with Netduino Update (which will clear out the config sector) and then putting the correct address back in using MFDeploy?

Chris

#3 bgreer5050

bgreer5050

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

I currently have 4.2 on the Netduino.  Should I update to 4.3 first ?

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

Hi bgreer5050,

4.3 has the latest bugfixes, so I recommend upgrading. But you shouldn't have to do so to restore your MAC address.

Chris

#5 bgreer5050

bgreer5050

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

I upgraded to 4.3 and changed the MAC address back to what it should be.  So far the problem has not re-occurred.  I am guessing that while manipulating the NIC card I was throwing an exception of some kind that caused the issue.  I'm not sure, but if I can re-create the problem I will post more details.

Thanks Chris

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:37 AM

Hi bgreer5050,

Just FYI, the new 4.3.2.1 firmware release automatically reloads the MAC address after upgrading the firmware. Not sure if that solves the core NETMF+lwIP issue for sure--but if the issue crops up for you again I recommend updating to 4.3.2.1 as a first step.

Once we have the main Netduino.IP stack out of pre-release that issue should go away completely if it didn't already do so with 4.3.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.