Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Azure EventHub Service Gateway for Netduino Devices

Azure IoT EventHub

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiDev

KiwiDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:58 AM

Hi All,

I do a bit of Azure development and I was keen to see how hard it would be to upload some sensor data from my Netduino devices to an Azure Event Hub so I could monitor the water and power consumption of my house. The Netduino doesn't (currently) support HTTPS so (inspired by Clemens Vasters @clemensv) I built a light weight Service Gateway to forward the data to Azure.

The service gateway runs as a Windows Service so it could be installed on pretty much any PC (e.g. I could host it on my WIndows PVR which is on 24x7). For testing I have been using one of my CodeClub non-invasive current clamp boxes  The design and code assumes that the devices and gateway will be running on a secure LAN and the volume of traffic will not be high.

azureeventhubnetduinoclient.jpg

For more info see my blog where the source can be downloaded.

The Windows Service has 4 command line parameters

• Install - install the service
  • Uninstall - uninstalls the service
  • Debug - runs the service in interactive mode
  • Name - allows you to specify the name of the service in the Services Manager

It's a proof of concept which I will enhance as time allows. Next steps most probably an installer using the Wix# tooling.

#2 Juzzer

Juzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

Nice 1

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:18 AM

Very nice, KiwiDev! Please tweet about it so we can retweet :)

#4 KiwiDev

KiwiDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

Hi Chris,

Already done on the 15th check out my twitter feed

Some more posts coming, will upload to Gateway to Github shortly just mad busy with CodeClub.

Bryn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.