Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Noob Motor Shield questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lex

lex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

So I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of "dunios". Kudos to the netduino guys for giving a lonely .NET programmer like myself a way to get into the hobby without having to give up my VS :). I finally got the netduino board, and have been messing around with it, cool stuff. My end goal is to drive two big motors on a big robot, but for now, it's more of a proof of concept. i wanted to drive two motors (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/319). To do this I understand that I will need a motor driver shield. When I search for such an item on sparkfun, I only get arduino stuff. I've tried looking through the "compatible shields" on this forum, but didn't find a motor driver shield. Can anyone suggest a shield that is tested and true with the netduino? Thanks Lex

#2 Philip

Philip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPreston, England

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:34 AM

Hi Lex, I would say that most of them would be OK, since the PWM pins are in the same place on Netduino and Arduino. I used one from DFRobots at http://www.dfrobot.c...9&product_id=59 and it works fine. Its good for about 1A, based on L293 PWM driver chip. Good luck, Phil

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:38 AM

Hi Lex, Also, please be aware that the Netduino's 32-bit ARM microcontroller only has 4 PWMs (whereas the Arduino's AVR micro has 6). DFRobot is probably a good choice. Just remember that the "outside 2 PWMs" won't be there on Netduino. The good news: all the PWMs on the Netduino are higher-speed and higher-bit. Chris

#4 lex

lex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

Thanks!

#5 lex

lex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Do you think this shield will work with a Servo whose operating voltage is between 4.8-6.0v?

I guess I could always look for a servo that operates in the 3.3v-5v range and plug it directly into the netduino.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I guess I should be more specific, I'm looking to control a servo that can rotate 360 degrees. Has anyone used the Ardumoto shield before?
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9896

I need to be able to turn the servo in small increments in both directions. This is the servo that I've located.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9347

Can these things work together?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#6 lex

lex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Anyone have suggestions?

#7 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

hmmm, i have never used either. 1. I see no reason why that shield would not work wiht a netduino, it's just an h-bridge on a board, as far as I can tell. 2. That servo, though, is 4.8-6v, and the shield takes it's power from Vin, which I think requires 7V, so that might be an issue. ...BUT i don't think you need that shield (or an h-bridge) to drive that servo -- the servo should just take in PWM and power.

#8 lex

lex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

...BUT i don't think you need that shield (or an h-bridge) to drive that servo -- the servo should just take in PWM and power.

Duh, good point. Thanks for the response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.