Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Max Power of Vdc Rails

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andre Trollip

Andre Trollip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationGauteng, South Africa

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:11 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what the max amperage is that can be pulled from the 3.3 and 5V power rails of the N, N+, N2 and N2+ respectively, when powered from VDC jack and not USB?

I'm guessing whichever is smallest, 1A or A Max of the input source.

Or does the overall 125mA limit apply to the power rails as well?

Thanks & Regards

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

5V

All Netduino-s use MC33269DT-5.0G (datasheet pdf) linear regulator (LDO), which has "Output Current in Excess of 800 mA".

3.3V

Netduino gen 1 use 3.3V variant of the same LDO (MC33269DT-3.3G), which means max 800 mA, but it is connected to 5V LDO, so the effective max current will be smaller, due to losses.

Netduino gen 2 use DC/DC converter based on ST1S12GR (datasheet pdf), which has output current 700 mA (again connected to 5V LDO, so the effective max current will be smaller due to losses).

The 125 mA limit applies to microcontroller pins, not power rails. You have to subtract current consumed by Netduino onboard circuitry (30 ~ 100 mA) from the regulator output.

#3 Andre Trollip

Andre Trollip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationGauteng, South Africa

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

Thanks a lot for the clear explanation CW2. Appreciate it.

buy in the mean time I decided to power the component from a separate power source I'd probably need close to the limit. I'll rather play iy safe.

Ciao,

Andre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.