Netduino + Xamarin Studio - Add-in in beta testing! - Mono - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino + Xamarin Studio - Add-in in beta testing!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hey all!

I'm super excited to announce that the Robotics from Xamarin.Labs team has an add-in for Xamarin Studio that allows you to build and deploy .NET MF apps to Netduino from Xamarin Studio on Mac!

If you want to give it a shot, you can find instructions here.

have fun, let us know if you have any issues.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

Hey Bryan,

This is pretty incredible. Thank you to both you and your team for working so tirelessly on this. .NET MF support for Netduino on Mac is really, really awesome.

For those who haven't followed the Mac support progress...this is over four years in the making. The Xamarin team built in debug capabilities and even rewrote MetaDataProcessor in C#. Pretty amazing stuff.

Thanks so much for your contributions to the community, Xamarin gurus. We'll continue testing this here as well and are really looking forward to getting it out of beta. C# robotics, maker projects and IoT development for Mac users...awesomesauce.

Chris

#3 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'm super excited to announce that the Robotics from Xamarin.Labs team has an add-in for Xamarin Studio that allows you to build and deploy .NET MF apps to Netduino from Xamarin Studio on Mac!

If you want to give it a shot, you can find instructions here.

have fun, let us know if you have any issues.

Hi Bryan

This is extremely interesting indeed, as most of our engineers are actually working on Macs even for NETMF programming. I am one of the few holdouts...

• What would need to be changed to also support other NETMF boards than Netduino, e.g. our Mountaineer boards (http://www.mountaineer.org), the GHI boards or the MikroBus.Net Boards?
  • When migrating the Metadata processor to C#, did you also correct some of the long standing problems, e.g. caching bugs? As any long-time NETMF programmer knows, there are many, many small glitches during build, deploy and debug. One of them e.g. that you sometimes have to switch transport from USB to something else and back again, and many more such hassles. It would be outstanding if you had resolved some of these as well!
  • Are you in contact with the new NETMF team? This could make life easier for them as well I guess.
  • Is it easier in Xamarin Studio compared to Visual Studio to have multiplatform setups, so that the same sources can be used e.g. for NETMF 4.2, NETMF 4.3.1 and (where appropriate) in NETFX 4.5 in the same solution?

Thanks and best regards

Cuno

#4 firestream99

firestream99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

I have a bunch of GHI Electronics stuff just sitting in a box. I'd like to add my vote to support more hardware.

Regards,

Brent...

#5 Dan Kowalczyk

Dan Kowalczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

Hi, is there a way to deploy via Xamarin Studio running on Windows?

If you want a treat and don't mind the treatment...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.