Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Opinions needed on CAN interface project

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fred007

Fred007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

I have netduino experience on 1,Plus1 and Plus2 and have some questions on a future project. I'd like to stay with the whole netduino / VS platform, (makes it very easy for me) but am looking to develop two projects. One will consume data from two CAN bus systems in my car. The other would be a CAN device simulator that could be used during development/testing.

I have a CAN shield but have not assembled it or worked with it on netduino yet.

My question is what you think would be a good way to proceed? Should I take the existing stuff I have and get it working? (i don't need a plus in the car, but a bluetooth would be nice)

Or, would something like the GO be a better platform for this? And, is there a module for the GO that already does the CAN protocol?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 zeroaviation

zeroaviation

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

In my opinion. With the netduino your best options is to use a MCP2515 SPI=> CAN (which is what the shield is). I really really really wish someone would write and post up a Native CAN Driver for the netduino. I would PAY someone to do it out of my own pocket.

The bad thing about the SPI=>CAN is that it is slow, so for doing fast automotive module programming, it wont cut the cheese... However, if your just reading data, or querying OBD then you wont have a problem. 

Cheers,

-Matt

#3 Fred007

Fred007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks. It is for an automotive project, and I was already thinking of some kind of onboard computer, so will probably go with a regular windows application for this. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.