Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

NP2 IRF510 MOSFET

Netduino Plus 2 IRF510 MOSFET

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LennySh

LennySh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

I have a IRF510 Transistor, and I need to send 5V to the gate pin in order to open the circuit enough for the 12V signal to pass through.  The problem is the Digital I/O's only send 3.3V.  Do I need to purchase a second transistor to use with the Digital I/O to switch on the 5V to the IRF510?  Or is there another method/transistor I could use to switch the 12V instead?

My doorbell sends me a text message and a push notification, does yours?

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

What kind of load does the transistor switch? What is the current?

IRF510 can switch ~1A at VGS = 5V, but I am a little bit suspicious about that "...to open the circuit enough..."

You can use any general purpose/small signal BJT (2Nxxxx, BC5xx) or MOSFET (e.g. BS170) to control the power MOSFET. In special case (e.g. very fast switching) you might need a dedicated MOSFET driver IC.

IRL510 is the variant with lower gate threshold voltage (<2V), it can switch 1A at VGS > ~2.75V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.